eyeTV Hybrid in US? with or without cable box?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arainert, Nov 1, 2006.

1. arainert macrumors member

Any help/advice would be great. I live in Brooklyn and have Time Warner Cable. I am assuming that I would need to get a cable box but then would have to change channels on the box rather than on the eyeTV software since there is no IR blaster.

Does that render the eyeTV EPG useless or does it change as I change the channel on the cable box?

I am having a really difficult time visualizing how these two things work with each other and how I would be experiencing the TV feed.

Any experience ya'll have had would be great.

Thanks!

a

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

First, the EyeTV Hybrid only inputs HD through an antenna. It has no other HD inputs. So even if you have an HD cable box, you won't be able to watch the HD signal on your computers. Only old fashioned 'rabbit ears' will bring you your local HD stations.

Second, you are correct, you will have to change channels on the cable box, since there is no interface to get your computer to tell the cable box to change channels for you. (Although if you have a Motorola brand cable box, you can, with some hacking, rig up a FireWire connection that will let you change channels. Not the most elegant solution, though, and doesn't hook in to any EPG.)

The method of connecting the cable box to the EyeTV is one of two methods: analog coax (i.e. 'tune your TV to channel 3') or analog RCA/S-Video. Both are 'low definition' for the signal coming from your cable box. Both involve your EyeTV seeing a single stream of input, having no way of knowing what channel you are looking at. (Other than 'channel 3', if you use the coax connection, which doesn't do you any good, unless you actually happen to be watching channel 3.)

For those stations that are actual local stations, you are better off buying a cheap Radio Shack indoor antenna, and watching them in full HD glory; and use the RCA/S-Video in on the EyeTV to watch any cable stations that require the box. (The low-definition tuner on the EyeTV can recieve analog cable signals, i.e. channels 1-121, so you only need the box for scrambled [HBO, Cinemax,] or digital cable stations [station numbers above 121.])

3. arainert thread starter macrumors member

Does that work the same way for the eyeTV 250?

Thanks!

a