EyeTV Hybrid Recording Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by garychanchan, Oct 10, 2006.

1. garychanchan macrumors newbie

I just purchased an eyeTV Hybrid with the eyetv 2 software.

Last week, I scheduled a recording and when the time came, EyeTV launched and recorded fine.

Today, I came home, turned on my computer and left it. Later, I came back and it wasnt recording. I had to launch eyeTV myself and it started recording after I launched it. However, I had missed half my show.

Does anyone know what happened? I'm pretty sure you dont need to have the eyeTV program open at all times for it to record. I tested it again, and it launched fine recently. Do you have to launch the program at least once after turning on your computer?

Any help or wisdom would be appreciated so I dont miss anymore recordings.

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I've used EyeTV for a long time -- I used various versions through 1.8.x and recently upgraded to EyeTV 2, and I've made probably 1,000+ recordings over the last few years. This seems to be something EyeTV just does once in a while, unfortunately. I find I have better luck if I make sure it's already running (launch it myself) when I have a recording coming up, and leave it running.

I used to use the EyeTV USB and one thing that I had trouble with with that is that the hardware would sometimes just be unavailable to the software, even though it was all plugged in, hooked up and ready to go. If I tried to select "Open Live TV Window" from the EyeTV menu, it would be grayed out. Don't know why this would happen, but it would go away as soon as I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in. I just recently upgrades to the EyeTV 250, and so far no problems with it, but I've only been using it for a few days.

3. garychanchan thread starter macrumors newbie

another question - burn to DVD

thanks!

on a different note - titanTV and eyeTV.. can you use the "Burn to DVD" button from their website to schedule a recording and a burn? I tried it and it started downloading something for some reason.

if not, is there a way to schedule a burn to DVD right after a recording ends (kind of like you can schedule an export to ipod)

any help would be great. thanks!!

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I don't really know about that -- I just started using EyeTV 2 a few days ago, and the old EyeTV 1.8.x didn't have "Burn to DVD", so that's new to me. (where is that, anyway?)

What I can tell you is that under the old version of EyeTV software, the program guide wasn't built in to the EyeTV sofware -- you browsed the schedule in your web browser and clicked links to 'watch live' or 'schedule a recording', etc. When you clicked the links on the TitanTV site your browser would download a script that would then run locally and schedule the recording in EyeTV, or whatever. The download you experienced was probably some variation on that mechanism.