EyeTV Hybrid vs Miglia TVMicro w/discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 25, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The local CompUSA I work in got two Miglia TVMicro's today. They're $99, and they have a markup of over 30% (I get them at the cost the store gets them at, so that means over 30% off for me, so I can get it under $70). I sold one to a customer with a 20" iMac Core Duo (he got it for $1080...he got a big discount because it's discontinued plus another discount because it had been returned so the box was open, we took a loss) + Applecare. That means there is one left, that I can pick up tomorrow.

I've been planning to get an EyeTV Hybrid for a while, but I'm thinking of grabbing the TVMicro for half the price. Will it be able to do the same things? The EyeTV Hybrid has the advantage of digital over-the-air HD, but other than that...you can't hook up anything with a component output, so no HD gaming.

My uses:
    A) Transfer my old VHS tapes to DVD
    B) Record stuff off my DVR because I have to send it back to Dish Network for a newer model
    C) Capture game footage for NintendoPlayers.com.

Does it have zero latency as the EyeTV Hybrid advertises? Can it do all of these things? If yes, I'll buy it tomorrow morning. Thanks for all advice!

2. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

3. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

From reading other forums here and having a Miglia TVMicro that I returned, I can tell you that the Miglia does not have Composite/S-Video inputs like the EyeTV does. So if you plan on recording from VHS or your DVR you'll have to output the signal over RF, which is usually of poorer quality than composite/s-video. I'm also not sure about the zero-latency, it's not advertised by Miglia but I remember reading somewhere that since neither of them have a hardware encoder, they're both pretty close to zero-latency.

4. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I already have an RF modulator, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks, I guess I'll try it and I can return it.