eyeTV Hybrid

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wakerider017, Feb 20, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Hey guys,

I have had this for a few months hooked upto my analog cable.

I have a lot of local stations that advertise "HD" and I was just wondering how do I receive those HD channels?

Do I just put some bunny ears on my eyeTV or do I have to buy a special antenna?

(I would really like to see LOST in HD. Haha)

2. SoldOutMatinee macrumors regular

SoldOutMatinee

HD is awesome! You're gonna need a special antenna to get HD. You can buy an antenna for inside your home if the HD Station is less than 10 miles from you. If it's farther than 10 miles, you're gonna need an outside antenna for further range. To check where your cities HD stations are, go here.. http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Live About 30-50 Miles From Transmitter And Get It Off Air

Terk TV5 works perfectly. I face opposite direction of transmitter 30-50 miles away and still get all 5 off air signals in a small market. Where are you? Have you read my tutorial on how to archive EyeTV Digital recordings yet?

4. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Here is the info I got from that site.

Good or bad?

[​IMG]

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

6. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

You should have no trouble getting the yellow stations. Actually you might try just plugging in a loose cable cord. Yellow means you can get it with a coat hanger and tin foil. Or you could just buy a loop or bowtie antenna since most of you stations are UHF. Those stations are far away but they are really powerful. Cable is for suckers. All you need is an antenna and the internet! ha

7. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I am only interested in picking up the digital channels.

Thought you had to have a special antenna?

Now I am confused?

(I like cable because I watch a lot of discovery channel :D )

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Hook Up Any UHF Antennae, Auto-Program and Start Recording.

Nothing special about a UHF antennae. Just hook it up and auto program for digital. I recommend the Terk TV5 as the best. It's $50 at Circuit City or $36 for Amazon.com. What are you waiting for? You've got a ton of HDTV in the air man. Get with the program. Letterman in HD starts in 35 minutes. Hurry Up.

9. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Damn I just missed LOST in HD.

I am going to set it up with an A/B splitter I think so I can switch back and forth between Digital antenna and my analog cable.

Now here is a good question. My local channels are numbered differently on antenna than on my cable.

For instance ABC is 11 on cable and 28 on antenna.

Is there a way for me to setup different program guides in eyeTV? One for cable and one for antenna?

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I was hoping you would try a to make rig to watch Lost tonight. The great thing about digital is that its either perfect or it doesn't work at all. I can get one station by just leaving my vcr plugged into my tuner. I really like discovering something new without having to buy something.

11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Sorry for the double post. Try TitanTv. I use it just for a tvguide but it links to your software.

12. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Watching Letterman in HD!!! (on bunny ears)

Wow the clarity is UNREAL! LIKE WATCHING A DVD!

Yup your right. Digital is all or nothing. It is nice not to have all those little fuzzies.

I think I got it setup so I can switch from antenna to cable... I just go to the channels tab and switch from analog cable to digital antenna and vice versa.

Now I just need to setup a switch and I will be great!

A question about antennas:

My dad has a HUGE old antenna in the attic. We used to use it years ago to watch over the air analog tv.

Do you think this would work better than the Terk TV5? (The antenna in the attic is about 15ft long and 8ft wide. About the size of a car.)

13. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Oh heck yes. Hook that thing up and you will get waaaaaaaaaay more channels. Enjoy you new find! I love heroes and SNL and conan. Also you can get thursday night on NBC: The Office, My name is earl etc. PBS has an all HD channel too (Nova and Nature look really cool!) Enjoy!!!

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have only a few OTA (Analog) channels according to that website. I need one of those blue antennas. I guess I'm pretty much SOL eh? The analog channels are standard definition right? Plus, with the type of antennae I need, it wouldn't be worth getting one just to pick up crappy analog channels. Oh well. I'll still be able to record analog cable via coaxial. I live in a crappy area... ugh.

15. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

So I need a "green" antenna to pick up all the channels I want.

Hopefully my monster attic antenna will do the job. I will keep you guys posted... (I gotta run some wires and get everything hooked up) Have not used that thing in FOREVER.

I wonder if my parents big screen has a built in digital tuner.. Gotta check on that...

Well I am definetley canceling my HD package with my cable company. The Over the Air HD looks so much better than Cable HD.

If I could only get Discovery Channel I would cancel cable all together. ;)

16. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Yea I say cable is for suckers but every year I get some 2 or 3 month $29 deal from comcast just to have ESPN HD. Discovery was nice too. I hope the hdtv has a tuner. If you can get that hooked up for him, it would be a good surprise. If it doesn't, you can get a tuner. Check out AVSforums they really get into this and they have a thread for basically every OTA HD market in the US. You might find someone local with an extra tuner. If that antenna was the primary method of getting tv, it should be set up and pointed already to get all the Network channels.

17. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

So... uhhh...

How do I tell if the big screen has a ATSC tuner?

(Man I just got thinking, supposedly TV stations are going to switch to 100% ATSC broadcasting by 2009. It is going to be mad chaos when that happens. haha)

18. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Find out the model number on it and google it. Or just stick your rabbit ears into the coax, and surf around the menus for air(antenna)/cable option.

19. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yup!
    Yup!
    Um, it might be better than watching a DVD? :)

The bigger the better!

My EyeTV Hybrid Story
    I bought the Miglia TV Mini HD. I wasn't happy with it so I returned it. I bought the EyeTV Hybrid and I like it way better.

Ok, end of story!

I connected the EyeTV Hybrid to the roof-mounted antenna. The RF connection for it was just hanging there, lonely, since cable TV is connected to the whole house.

Also sitting there unused were a couple of distribution amplifiers, which I connected in series, and plugged one of them to the wall.

All I need to do is update the 20+ year old antenna on the roof (it's apparently recommended to replace those things every 5-10 years). It's probably not in such great shape. It's been neglected since we went with cable TV.

20. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I bought an EyeTV hybrid a couple of weeks ago... this thing is nice! My only problem is that on my PowerBook G4, I can't record anything while using the computer (or the video stutters horribly)... but I can't really complain, it works very very well aside from that.

It's tempting to get a Mac Mini and use that as a dedicated digital TV receiver/recorder, and hook it to my old TV.

21. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I EyeTV 24/7 With 500 & Hybrid Both

My dedicated EyeTV recorder with both EyeTV 500 and Hybrid hooked up to it is a G5 Quad with 4GB of RAM. :D I am an EyeTV Ultra Fanatic!

22. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Nice :)

I just ordered that Terk TV5 antenna from Amazon based on your recommendation (and a ton of other good reviews). I'm hoping it will perform better than the RCA ANT1250 I'm using right now... which does pretty well, but requires some fidgeting to get certain channels. Plus I think the Terk TV5 looks a lot better.

23. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I have an HybridTv on the way and want to use both analog cable and OTA HDTV regularly. What type of switch do I need so I can have the antenna and analog cable plugged in at one time? Is this switch automatic or do I have to manually flip a switch?

Also, how easy is it to switch the eyetv software to watch one or the other? Can I pick this by using the remote?

I am looking forward to getting this based on all the positive reviews I have read on this site.

24. warfa macrumors regular

i am also getting an EyeTV Hybrid soon but my butget currently allows only high speed internet :) if i buy the Terk TV5 will i get the channels that i want without paying for them?:D or is getting a cable service inevitable?

25. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

You just need a coax splitter. Cheap answer.

As for warfa, it just depends on where you live. If you live near a transmitter you can get the networks for free.