eyeTV or myTV on core duo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iHateGates, Mar 16, 2006.

1. iHateGates macrumors member

Next month, I'll be updating my old G3 iMac and chucking my gateway laptop. I think I'm going to opt for a new iMac and maybe grab a leftover iBook, hopefully on the cheap. One of the new things I'm looking to do is some DVR work with either eyeTV or myTV. Anyone know if they will work on the intel machines? The super fast processor would be nice, but I don't really need it and I can pick up a G5 cheaper. Anyone?

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

I can confirm that eyeTV 2.01 works *great* on my mini duo

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I use EyeTV EZ v2 on my Core Duo mini and it's also fine. I'm not blown away by EyeTV though... consider alternatives.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

What alternatives are there?

Generally I think EyeTV is fine, except for the inability to use EPG data to schedule recordings.

5. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i've used the miglia alchemy (PCI card on a G5 PM) and now an eyetv 200 on my intel imac...and the eyetv is by far the better option. eyetv 2 software is very good and i've been quite happy with it.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Even if you did prefer the Alchemy, it wouldn't be any help on current Macs. None have PCI slots, and only the Power Mac G5 even has PCI Express slots. It's probably safe to assume that the Intel replacement for the Power Mac will also include only PCI Express slots.