eyeTV + Playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by fall3n, Dec 18, 2006.

1. fall3n macrumors 6502

I have 2 screen. My mac 24" and my 20.1" acer. I want to use my 24" when I'm watching just tv and use my 20.1" when I'm using the computer but want to have tv on at the same time. My question is that usually when I play a game the 20.1" screen goes black and only the 24" mainscreen will work. If I have eyeTV running could it run on the 20.1" acer while my 24" is playing a game or will it go black? If so, is there any way around this? Hope that made sense. Thanks.

2. fall3n thread starter macrumors 6502

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

As far as I know..... no. When you generally play any game while having a second display it will just "cut out" the second display unless you can run it in window [not full screen]. Also, iMacs and Macbooks use mini-dvi which only support video mirroring, though I'm not sure what the eyeTV adds to that.

4. bigjimbob macrumors member

I Keep asking this question and it hasn't been answered ever....

the eyeTV hybrid has apparently close to 0 latency but not 0 - and nobody in this forum apparently has tried playing games and given feed back :confused:

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As maddog said, pretty much all games that run in full screen mode turn off any secondary displays. This is something in the game, not the OS. If you run the game in a window, you should be fine.

However, the Intel iMac and MacBooks do support extended desktop mode now. (The last model iMac G5 supported it, too, and earlier 'consumer' models could be made to support it with a firmware hack.)

And bigjimbob, I believe fall3n was wondering about playing Mac games while watching the EyeTV, not playing a console game THROUGH the EyeTV. But, to answer your question, a friend happily plays his PlayStation 2 through an EyeTV Hybrid. I'll let you know how well it works from personal experience the day after Christmas. (We bought the kids a Wii, but my wife won't let me play with it early. She says "it is for the kids, after all." What a spoilsport. :p )

6. BRUUUCE macrumors member

how is the latency for your friends ps2? you visually tell? don't notice it at all. Notice it slightly - slightly, i guess the closest example is whether your host or not in halo 2. you dont see a difference, but there IS, like with the shotgun if it's a 1 hit kill or not.

7. bigjimbob macrumors member

ehurtley - Did you get to play with EyeTV? what's the good word?

8. fall3n thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to use window mode. Oh well. The IMac does support extended desktop though.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

For what its worth I run my Wii through an EyeTV Hybrid and its great for games. No lag noticeable whatsoever and if someone says so then they're lying imo!! In many ways I actually prefer playing the Wii on my Mac rather than on my flatmate's plasma. Although the plasma's image is sharper, the slight blurryness smooths any jaggies in games and playing whilsts sitting at a desk is wayyyy more comfortable than lying on the floor (this is for Zelda btw, not Wii Sports).

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

heh. Didn't get a chance to play it through my EyeTV until yesterday. It was too busy on the main TV. It's responsive enough that I can play any of the Wii Sports just fine, and Need for Speed. (Zelda isn't that time sensitive as far as I've gotten so far.)

The only problem on my 15" MacBook Pro is that it assumes the screen is larger, so I have to point about a foot off the corners of the real screen to have it point to the corners of the actual screen.

And, yeah, since the output is interlaced, the smoothing of the EyeTV makes it look worse than it does on a 27" high-end-circa-1997 TV. I would imagine that the EyeTV's picture would really pale in comparison to component/progressive-scan HD viewing.

11. 7084 macrumors member

Hmmm, I'm desperate for a Wii at the moment as I've always loved all things nintendo and i'm tempted to go for the Eyetv Hybrid and play one through S-Video on my 24" iMac but I am still unsure of whether this is a good purchase or not?

So the picture quality suffers dramatically? My TV is not flashy, and only an old 14" CRT so i thought playing on the iMac screen would be great, but will it actually look worse on my mac?

And i've heard varying reports on the latency issue, some claiming that the lag is quite obvious while others unaware of any lag at all, any more opinions on this?

And a question that Spankey Deluxe can probably answer, but in the Eyetv Hybrid FAQ it claims that PAL Wiis can only be played in 50hz mode, can you confirm this? What happens if you select the 60hz option? I'd rather play optimized Wii games.

Hmmm so basically, any more opinions on this matter would be great! Thanks!

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

7084, I use an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid on my Mac Pro all the time for playing Wii. The image quality isn't as good as on the Plasma, even if its only connected to the Plasma via the standard cables although it still looks great. I can't comment if it'd look better on your 14" CRT than your 24" iMac but I'm sure I'd rather play it on the bigger screen even if it doesn't look quite as good. I don't know what S-video is like on an EyeTV since I haven't got the cable.
    BTW yeah, the EyeTV doesn't support 50Hz mode via its video input although it does support NTSC via the TV-Tuners, which is a bit odd. Its irritating actually because I can't play my Windwaker Zelda:OoT bonus disk because its 50Hz only.

13. 7084 macrumors member

Cheers for the reply Spankey, It's a damn shame that it can't run in 60hz, and although i dont understand the technical side of things, I can't see the difference in hooking up a Pal Wii to a mac or a NTSC Wii to a mac, as isn't it usually the TVs themselves that cause all the 50/60hz confusion?

I just worry that limiting myself to 50hz is a dangerous option, as you said the OoT Bonus Disk was 60hz only, as was Metroid Prime 2, i'd hate to not be able to play a future release because of this reason. Really annoying.

On a side note, I was led to believe that S-Video was the only way you could connect a Wii to an eyetv hyrbid, is that wrong? What cable do you use with yours?

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

At least with 60Hz you get a bigger resolution. :) I don't quite understand why the EyeTV software doesn't support NTSC signals through its video in. You can use Composite in with the Hybrid as well as S-Video. Composite is the cable that comes with the Wii. You'll need a 2xPhono to 1xStereo Jack converter though since the EyeTV uses a stereo jack in.

15. 7084 macrumors member

This makes it sound like eyetv hybrid can output Wii in 60hz? I'm all confused now.

16. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

First off... i'd imagine that sort of multitasking to cause a strange sensory overload.. but to answer you question...- yes it is very much possible. I just tried out the eyetv hybrid this evening.. plugged in my second monitor.. moved the tv window over to that monitor- the damn thing is so smart, that when i went to view 'full screen'- it just turned my secondary monitor into the fullscreen tv.. leaving my laptop monitor untouched- and ready to do whatever else. I did not try running a game- as I am not all that into them.. but my guess is that it might cause what people have already brought up- that the game might try to blackout the other screen. Anyways just wanted to let you know that the dual setup- with extra screen being the tv works.. - and someone had posted earlier that the dvi output is just to mirror the main monitor- thats not true.. under prefs.. then monitors.. you can setup which one is primary/sec or mirror.. by dragging the lil mini monitor windows around.
    - i took a snapshot of the screen to show off the eyetv's ability.. and just dropped the two windows sidebyside inphotoshop.. good luck with your setup

Attached Files:

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Uh.... 60 Hz is NTSC (America,) 50 Hz is PAL (Europe,) and PAL/50 has higher resolution than NTSC/60.

18. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Well, if this helps anyone-- I have an EyeTV250, and no, you can't game on it. Too much latency.
    At least, *I* couldn't.

19. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, the EyeTV 250 is one of the EyeTV products that encodes the video in the hardware. An EyeTV Hybrid does no encoding, it just passes through the raw video (raw uncompressed NTSC is actually huge, something like 200 Megabits per second,) with near-zero latency. (The Hybrid also just passes the station-encoded HD signals with no extra latency.)

20. gesebbage macrumors newbie

Help much Appreciated!>>>

Hello, i've just been reading over these replies, and was just wondering if anybody could clarify some things. i'm on the bottom-of-range end of the new intel imac family, but will be selling it and upgrading to the next size imac. I'm also planning on getting a nintendo wii, but don't have a tv so will need to play it on my mac.

so i need: eyetv 250? and what's this hybrid everyone mentions? what extra cabling will i need? i'll have a pal version (am in england) and so what does this mean with regards to 50/60hz display modes? and finally what will be the quality of the picture? because i'm not paying £160 for a box which will give me laggy, crap-screen-quality output! any help with this will be much appreciated. Cheers...