eyetv question.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thestaton, Sep 27, 2006.

1. thestaton macrumors 6502

I am looking at dumping my tivo because of the 12.99 fee which is really pretty stupid. I was looking at getting a comcast dvr which is only 9.99 a month and can record something while you watch another channel. then I ran across this little gem called eye tv.

can you use the eye tv with an external firewire drive? I have a duo iMac and don't want to use its harddrive space.

can the eye home record tv or do you have to buy something separate?

anyone tried it out? whats your opinion on how good it works?

and for the hardware side of things whats everyones opinion?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

eyeTV things are wicked! I have the DTT one and it works like a charm (crap antenna though.

4. Gerg macrumors regular

Yes, that's how I have it running on my Mac mini. I have a MiniStack external drive.

Eye Home does not record anything, it's merely a way to get your digital content (recorded TV shows, iMovies, iTunes, iPhotos) from your Mac to your television.

My Eye TV 200 is fire-wire based, and does all the encoding itself, so it doesn't hog resources on the mini. I've had it for almost a year, and really enjoy it. It uses TitanTV.com as its programming guide, although in version 2.0 it also has the guide built-in to the software. The nice thing about TitanTV.com is that I can browse that while at work, and if I see a show I want to record, I can schedule it remotely, and my EyeTV will pick up that queue and record the show. Very cool!