EyeTV solution that works in UK & USA on PPC & Intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sharky II, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502

Sharky II

Hi there

Moving to the states for a year... and currently have a Powerbook G4 and a Dualcore Powermac G5 and a 24inch dell screen. I'd like a cheapish EyeTV solution that i can use in the laptop (or the g5?) to get TV (digital freeview too?) channels in the states (do they even have digital freeview in the states?) - but also work in the UK so it's not useless when i come back.

Oh, and if it will work on both a PPC and Intel machine - for if/when i upgrade - that would be great too :p

I am not a massive TV person, i don't want to record stuff, i just want something to pass the time... but as i have a 24inch dell then something that works with HD stuff would be cool too

Is it possible to get something like this, usb2 or something? The EyeTV range kinda confuses me.

Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

AFAIK, you're not going to get a PAL version that'll also work with NTSC, and I think the HD standards are different as well.

The elgato Hybrid - which most definitely is a different model here than there - works well at receiving HD signals (which, yes, we do have over here) as well as standard def OTA or cable ones. It's not perfect, but a good choice given the relatively low cost and small size (I have one, and it works acceptably if not perfectly).

Perhaps something will work with both standards, but I don't know of anything that will.

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502

Sharky II

The hybrid seems like the one to go for... i don't understand about the PAL and NTSC... surely they sell the same model over in the states? No? :(

Thanks for your help man

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, from their North America site:
    as opposed to their European site:
    Maybe they're the same, but it sure looks like different product versions for different markets.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They appear identicle to me unless they are just using the same image for both sites. I have heard a lot of good things about Hybrid and want to get one If I dont rebuild my Alienware.:cool:

6. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502

Sharky II

:(

Maybe i'll try and grab a 2nd hand one in the states then sell it before i leave

Thanks for your help with this man

Edd

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

But look at the specs - I'm sure they use the same case and 90%+ of the same parts, but some of the inner workings are likely different unless they do it all with firmware.

BTW, see any semblance between it and the Pinnacle one for PCs? ;)

Of course, the PC one is cheaper and comes with a remote. :rolleyes:

8. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Here you go, it even uses the Eye TV software.

The device is compatible with both PAL and NTSC transmission formats, ensuring compatibility for all users around the world.

[​IMG]

The Plextor ConvertX PVR for the Mac is the ultimate personal video recorder for the Mac. The PX-TV402U allows you to connect to a satellite TV, cable TV or broadcast TV signal and record programs to your Mac. You can then watch the video from the Mac or burn it to DVD for playback on a DVD player. You can also connect a camcorder, VCR or DVD player to record home videos to the Mac. The heart of the PX-TV402U is its multi-format encoder chip which converts video to the MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and DivX formats formats as it is being recorded to the Mac.

http://www.plextor.com/ENGLISH/products/TV402UMac.htm