EyeTV USB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kwyjibo, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I've got a powerbook 867 12 in and I have an offer to buy an EyeTV USB for $80. This is probably best considering that the FW version is more powerful but costs like 3 or 4 times that $80.

Will the EyetvUSB have sufficeint quality for just watching programs I missed not neccessarily storing them forever ...

2. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Yup

I've got the elGato eyeTV USB and a powered antenna (cable is better) and it really does a good job of the application. It can be choppy depending on the signal strength, but I've managed VCR+ quality TV recordings and near DVD quality with cable. Remarkable. I think the FW version is DV quality. I got mine from smalldog and it was $90 or so. Cheaper than a LCD TV and one less techbrick.

3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

If you get the opportunity, I'd suggest you get the eyeTV 200 - it's a FIREWIRE device, and the quality is brilliant in comparison.

I've got an Eskape Labs MyTV USB unit, and - although it did the job really well - I had to run a seperate audio cable from the device, as USB wasn't designed to carry that kind of bandwidth.

:cool:

4. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

right now i'm just a college student so this unit fits my budget.I was tempted by the firewire version but anyway unit should arrive monday or tuesday.

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'm not sure about the EYETV usb, but I have had similar usb devices but the bandwidth wasn't sufficient to support even stereo audio, something to consider.