EyeTV Wonder USB2.0 vs. EyeTV 200

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rummer, May 23, 2005.

1. rummer macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2005
    I am about to get a new iMac G5, and would like to get a TV tuner. I will mostly be using the TV tuner for watching TV, and not for Playstation/Xbox etc. I wanted to have the ability to record TV shows on my iMac, so a video capture feature was necessary.

I've sort of come down to the Elgato EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0 or the EyeTV 200. The EyeTV 200 is firewire, and the Wonder is USB 2.0. I've looked at the specs, but does anyone know of any major performance differences between the two? I saw some others write in the forums that the EyeTV 200 has an encoder, whereas the Wonder doesn't. How would this affect watching full screen TV on my iMac? Thanks for your input!
  2. bignelly macrumors newbie

May 12, 2005
    Good question, rummer. I'd love to know the answer to that too. I'm also looking at the EyeTV 410, which is terrestrial digital. I wondered whether anyone in the UK knows whether the 410 works OK with an internal aerial only? My experience of this from ITV digital days was that some sort of super-powered external aerial was required!

Also, is iDVD sufficient to record from EyeTV, or would I need to buy Toast too?
  3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    The Eye TV 200 encodes the video to mpeg 1,2, or 4 in the Eye TV unit. The USB wonder uses your Mac to encode. This is why the 200 costs more - but also makes it better in my opinion.

I have the Eye TV 200 and you are able to watch full screen or any other sized window you want - And even minimized in the dock (which looks cool but isn't all that practical).

When you connect your cable wires, make sure everything is tightened up and use higher quality cables if you can, especially if you are splitting the cable line to get it to your Eye TV (the signal will weaken and give you a poorer picture).

I don't know if iDVD can be used for burning DVDs of the stuff you record, but I don't belive it does. I use Toast which does great.

The 200 also comes with a remote, so the unit would need to be placed somewhere in range that you could use the remote (unless you don't care about that). I don't think the USB unit comes with a remote, so you can just put that down behind your computer desk or whatever you feel like doing...

For what it's worth, I hear that the USB unit is better for gaming becasue there is no latency/delay (I guess b/c it encodes on your Mac?) - But I'm not a gamer nor do I own that one so I don't have any personal feedback. There is a one-second or so delay on the 200, which I have noticed if a regular TV in another room is on loud...
  4. rummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2005
    Thanks, I think I may go with the EyeTV 200, because my guess is that having the CPU to encode video would put a lot of stress on the iMac.
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    A follow up question

I currently am using a cable DVR. But am thinking about going EyeTV with a Mac mini attached to the the TV for TV recording and adding to the folding effort ( :) ).

My question is that with the DTV/HDTV FCC deadline of 2006 fast approaching, would it be better to wait for what ever Elgato comes up with to answer the "new" low end of the market?
  6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    I bought the EyeTV 200, to go along with my brand new 2GHz 20" G5 iMac, and the quality looks great in full screen.

The 200 is in the bedroom next to the computer, and is connected up to my Sky+ Satellite Digibox sitting under the TV in the living room via the 2nd powered aerial output (so I can put an in-line remote control receiver next to the 200, and change channels in the bedroom!). It's also excellent for importing recorded programmes from the Sky+ box's built-in hard drive...

...I can record them as a Quicktime movie to the iMac and burn them off onto a DVD via Toast, thus freeing up space to record MORE stuff on the Digibox.

And the quality is AMAZING...

7. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    I have the eyetv 410. I have had no problem with reception here in AU. What I suggest is to elevate the antenna that is supplied when you are tuning the unit for the first time. This will ensure you get all the channels.

After tuning, place the antenna where you want it and see if you still have signal. I have found by moving he antenna just a few inches can interfere with the signal. Once you have this sorted out, It is a great unit.