EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AmbitiousLemon, Dec 3, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

So I have seen this little thing advertised on a number of websites. Does anyone have experience with it? How is the feature set of the tv capture tools? $200 is pretty steep for a simple tv card, im wondering if it is worth it.

2. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

:) hm, so i suppose this means no one has purchased one of these bad boys.

3. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

I have replied to several eyeTV threads. Just do a search. Its a great tool for capturing tv and burning VCDs, the patches make it much better as well. Its nicely integrated with TitanTV.com and toast. My only complaint is the fact it only records MPEG1, so i cannot convert it to another smaller file without painstaking steps which take forever. Why don't i just burn a vcd you ask? My PS2 is my dvd player, and cannot play vcds :(

4. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

If you're after a good cheap VCD player, then check out www.121cdr.co.uk as they have an mp3 CD walkman that plays VCDs for the equivalent of $75.

They're in the UK, like me, but I'm sure they'd ship you it, or at least tell you where to get it in the US.

h

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

cool...

I actually picked up the Mintek DVD Player from BestBuy to play VCD's. It's the cheapest DVD player they have ($57 USD). It plays VCD, SVCD and DVD's.

I already had a Sony DVD Player... but it would not play SVCDs.

arn

6. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

$57 at best buy, eh? I may just have to go there this saturday... Thanks for the tip :)

7. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

took your advice (guess im a it out of practice with this whole forum thing). that formac competitor looks very nice. the firewire is a nice touch too. but that price difference does seem significant. i suppose its a bit like choosing between a mp3 walkman or an ipod. what are your opinions of the formac versus the eyetv?

8. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Hmm, that formac looks very nice, DV and all. If it will work with iMovie / iDVD i'd love to have it. I just wonder if its really worth the extra $200. If you have a dvd burner, maybe it is. If you're content with large files (300 megs / 30 minutes) and can read VCDs, then the EyeTV is the best buy. Myself, i can afford the HD space, but i need a vcd player still...