F/A 18 - Operation Iraqi Freedom

Discussion in 'Games' started by micvog, Dec 9, 2004.

1. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Has anyone tried this on an iMac G5? I just received it yesterday and the graphics and gameplay are very poor (so poor that I am assuming there is something wrong with my system, the Open GL drivers in 10.3.6 or the game).

Besides re-booting, repairing permissions, and running the CRON jobs, what else should I do?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not have got a Mac for games that has a 5200 for the video card?

3. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

Seeing how the iMac G5 has 3x the processor speed and 4x the VRAM of the recommended specs, my guess is that the problem is greater than the 5200. The game is unplayable - ~5FPS and graphics that look like they came from the Intellivision era. I am not expecting PC/PS2 levels of performance.

I know there have been Open GL issues with recent builds of Panther - I am not sure about 10.3.6. I also didn't know if this was a G5 vs. G4 issue, or something specific to my system.

4. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

That game is a dog. Its most definetly not your video card, see the problem with that game is that its based off the code of a 5 year old flight sim, all that they added was new missions.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

It's a different graphics engine, so performance will take a hit. And it seems like the Mac version went on hiatus considering how the PC version was released way earlier.

And to the original poster, VRAM does not equal better graphics card performance. The 5200 Ultra is crap, so the game runs like crap. Mess with the settings more and lower the resolution. That is all you can do.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I can't even get the game to load. The OIF Editor will load up, but the main game just sits there doing nothing when I try to load it. I have an ATI 9600XT card, 2GB of RAM and 2x2.5Ghz G5s; is it overloaded or something?

Has anyone at all gotten this to work on a G5? please message me with any thoughts.

7. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

Try running the 1.03 update. I believe the 10.3.7 system update broke OIF. After applying 1.03, it runs on my iMac G5.

8. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

The game uses vector graphics rather than the usual kind, so it has a different look to it. It certainly is easier to fly than X-Plane or (on a PC) Combat Flight Simulator, IL-2, or pretty much anything else.

I always wished someone made Falcon into a Mac game: it was tremendously dense and took several months to learn and get good at.