F/A-18A Hornet For Sale on E-Bay!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ~Shard~, Feb 15, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Kay, sometimes you just find the most outrageous items on E-Bay - for instance, a Navy Blue Angel Hornet!

My initial questions on this item would be:

1) Regardless of the item description, HOW can you sell this item, let alone on e-bay?
    2) WHO would actually buy this, let alone have the money to justify such a purchase - and buy it on e-bay nontheless?
    3) What type of legalities and regulations are going to be involved in owning this thing?
    4) WHAT type of pilot's license do you need to fly this thing?
    5) What about all the other exorbitant costs involved with owning this thing, such as storage, maintenance, fuel - well, I could go on and on!

Quite the interesting item - I wonder if he has more than 1 kicking around.... :cool:

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

There was a russian mig on e-bay some time ago. Of course, it was in pieces, and probably would never actually fly again, but still...

There was also an aircraft carrier on e-bay too...

I'll tell you, though, the US Government will be very interested in you if you buy something like this...

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing the Mig on e-bay. But as you said, that was in pieces, and this is the full, ready-to-fly, real deal - no assembly required! (Batteries not included?) ;)

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    JEEEZ

thats insane not exactly your normal ebay buy

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Think you can Pay Pal it?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You certainly would have to have a large credit line available.

Getting a pilots license and finding an available airport should prove to bee interesting. :p

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

He is selling it for the owner and has now included an article that mentions he has already been visited by th FBI. It is not fully assembled, but it will be and will be in working order for delivery. It is extremely strange to see this since U.S. planes almost never get out to third parties, as most are just put in graveyards once they aren't needed. I too wonder what kind of license you would have to have to fly one of these. He is also selling a T-33 training fighter jet in ready to fly condition.

8. coopdog macrumors 6502a

9. raynegus macrumors regular

I'm gonna put a bid on it tonight after I ask my wife...

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

It's always interesting to see what other items people who spend millions on eBay bid on. A few months ago I remember the governor of Virginia (?) put the state yacht up for sale on eBay, and the person who bought it for a number of millions of dollars also bought some other high priced items in the past. However, the guy who has placed a bid on this thing also bought this. It's a used, $280 Compaq laptop. You would think this guy could afford a new PowerBook if he can afford to spend a million on a plane :p

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

wow, that's amazing....but even if you could buy it and it was flight worthy, there are so many things you have to worry about. You just don't jump into to an F18 and fly it :D

And it says it has an 'N' number which means its registered to fly as a US plane (private or commercial)

D

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Only 1 Million?

Come on guys...

There has to be more money for stuff like this...

Its a frikken F/18 Hornet!

come on!!

:eek:

13. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm guessing they would, but what would you have to do in the first place to even bid on this thing? I didnt look at the details, but I assume that there is some sort of confirmed secure bidding, or some sort of verification process for this auction? Otherwise, hell, let's all bid it up to at least 2 million dollars then back out! Heh heh - that would probably make the seller mad. But what could he do about it - come after us with an F/A18 Hornet? Oh, wait....

14. TMay macrumors 68000

I sent this to a friend

I passed this on to some of my engineer buddies at a local defense contractor in Sparks, NV, Sierra Nevada Corporation. They might find some of the other stuff useful. The company specializes in automated aircraft landing systems (especially carrier based Naval and Marine Corp aircraft) and various other electronic systems.

I know that the owner has enough to buy this, but, I can't imagine that happening. Then again, there is a jet class on the National Championship Air Race circuit. Sooner or later, someone will buy this and get a big corporate sponsor. How about Larry Ellison? He's already got a Russion MIG (I don't know which model, but I figure it's a MIG 15).

15. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: I sent this to a friend

Ah yes, Larry Elison - a perfect example (but not the only of course!) of a person who has more money than anyone could ever need - and it's those types of people, the ones who have so much money they don't know what to do with it, that would probbaly buy this thing! Makes you shake your head sometime...

Well, maybe Larry will buy it, and then he and his best friend can fly the Hornet and the MIG around and have races together... :cool:

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

As I recall the kid who collected a million Pepsi points to get the harrier jump-jet couldn't even get the jet because of some law preventing private citizens from owning military aircraft... But man would it be fun to fly in one! :cool:

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, 5 bids so far... and the current high bidder just bought a porsche for $14k :D

Looks like he's trying to get the jet to go with it ? :p

D

18. coopdog macrumors 6502a

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    damn, i wonder how much shipping will be on 2 million feet of cabling... :rolleyes:

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Back in the early 90's when the USSR was falling apart there was an article in the WSJ about soviet migs for sale. Mig-29s, some serious planes going for bargain basement prices. The FAA regs demanded that the drop tanks and ejection seats be removed. Aside from that they had no issues. In terms of what it would cost to own and operate one I doubt it would be too much worse than a G5.

Personally, I think just about anyone in the US should be allowed to own this under 2nd amendment grounds. :D

There are a good number of SuperSonic fighter jets in private hands in this country, the only reason this is news is because its on e-bay.

21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Its up to 8 million now, however its a one time user.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Paint it in a Coors Light scheme.

The you can have fun knocking that tiny little Bud Light BD-5 jet out of the sky in a television commercial.

23. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

It's up to 100mil now. Thats getting close to the price of an F-23.