F.E.A.R, scary as hell or not?

Discussion in 'Games' started by reberto, Jan 23, 2006.

1. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I just got F.E.A.R from my friend yesterday and I am only 4 levels into it and I am scared ****less. Now, I don't get scared easily but, DAMN this game if freaky. Does anyone agree with me?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

no, it's not scary. it's kinda boring, i must say. and it pisses me off because even though i can run most games at very high settings with good performance, going above minimum on most settings slows it to a crawl.

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Have to agree, didn't find it that scary. I think Doom 3 freaked me out more with the dark levels.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm with you on it Reberto.

I cannot play this game. Freaks the hell out of me.

5. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

Then you must have one crappy system. I have an Athlon XP 2700+ at ~2.4 ghz and an ASUS 6800XT and 512 system memory. My frind with a Sempron 64 and an X700 can run it.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I completed fear not long ago, scary?? i wouldnt say scary but tingly if thats a word. Doom 3 would scare you with the shrieking and out of the closet behind you that didnt exist a second before. F.E.A.R was more about story and the occasional unexplainable sightings, things moving and the lil girl who was there but isnt there. Good game but you better have muscle to run it. I thought they should have used her alittle more but maybe thats in the sequel.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Intense rather than scary. After the first couple of levels the novelty kind of wears off and it it's basically the same thing over and over until the end. Which isn't too long into this game...

Wont spoil the ending, but I was dissapointed.

System Shock 2 still the scariest game I ever played.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

what was system shock 2 about? never heard of it. Must have been a pc only game;)

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nope it was not scary at all but fun to death.

Bless

10. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I stopped playing not far into and I couldn't sleep for days.

11. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

the same thing happend with my friend who gave it to me. Doom 3 wasn't scary in any way, shape or form. Plus, F.E.A.R has a GOOD storyline, Doom 3 didn't.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I personally made it a rule not to play the game before 10:00 I have the same rule about horror movies. Whats the point of seeing them in the middle of the day, its just hard to get freaked out when the sun is shining outside.

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

nope. athlon 64 3500+, 2gb ram, ati x800 pci-e. which is why it puzzles me so. pretty much every other game i can run *close* to highest settings. also uses all my ram...
    o well. doesnt matter because imo it's not much of a game :p :eek:

14. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I have a rule that I don't listen to rap before 10am.

:p

15. slb macrumors 6502

Wait until you reach the last levels where the story is revealed and everything goes crazy. F.E.A.R. was fun.

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Nah, but Doom 3 scared the poop outta me.

And look, there it is!

17. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

thanks for the warning...not I am really scared. I am on the Bad Water level when you walk down the hallway with the lights on the wall and the all of the weird stuff happend (blood puttle on the celing, door explodes)

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It was a BioWare game.

You were basically stranded on a space ship, and the artifical inteligence on the vessel has gone bonkers and is out to kill you.

It was dark, broody.. Imagine Deus Ex RPG/FPS hybrid, mixed with Doom 3's darkness and a touch of Silent Hill's mood and tension.

It required skill, planning, cunning and bravery to survive, no guns blazing as ammo was very limited... Excellent and the music and atmosphere has to be the most tense of any game in the last number of years..

I think there is a sequel in the offing somewhere.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

FEAR does love lots of ram and I found it really pushed my system more than Doom 3 etc...

P4 3.2ghz, 1.5gb Ram, 160gb HD, ATI X800XT PlatinumEdition... I got around 30-35 Fps with most details set to high....

Doom 3 I got 60 Fps in game as I think that was locked at 60..

20. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Nope, not scary at all. Doom3 wasn't scary either - all it did was make me laugh. Now Thief3, THAT was scary (and its not even supposed to be a scary game!)

21. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

Wow, thats sad. My compy only has 512 ram (DDR-400) and I am running at medium settings at 30-45 fps

22. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

23. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i just got a brand new PC (Dell 5150, P4 3.2 ghz, 1 GB RAm, ATI X600 SE 256MB)and downloaded all the big demmo's for games (quake 4, FEAR, BF2, HL2) and i can run most of them on the highest (or close enough) settings, but FEAR i can only run at like 1/2 its potential....i don't know why, maybe its in part because it is just a demo, oh well i have the full version shipping, should be here tomorrow, sounds like a great game, i can't wait to play!

24. plastique45 macrumors regular

Yes, like 99% of all computer games, it was PC only.

No, it wasn't made by Bioware. It was created by Warren Specter (Deus Ex, Thief) at Looking Glass / Irrational Games, distributed by EA.

More info on this great games:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/161/161087p1.html

25. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

FEAR had some pretty scaring parts, but I can't exactly say I had nightmares afterwards. (and this was after playing in completely dark room, with headphones).

Ye. that's pretty scary. And a far better game too.

Yep. PC/Windows only.

No, it was Looking Glass Studios (R.I.P.)/Irrational Games. BioWare had no parts in it... though they once made a game called Shattered Steel, iirc. (kinda similiar name, different genre).

Rumors have it that a System Shock 3 is in the works, but Irrational Games is not working on it, and Looking Glass is dead, so it's hard to guess if it will be any good.

Irrational Games is working on a "spiritual successor" to System Shock, named "Bioshock". Could be interesting.