F.e.a.r.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Allotriophagy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Too scary.

Pooped my pants during the introductory mission.

Will upgrading to 10.4.8 help with cleaning up my underwear?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

whats really scary is that f.e.a.r on my 3 year old computer looks better than on my xbox 360 :p

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

ok, maybe i shouldn't try F.E.A.R. I get scared easily, i mean, the playstation game 'evil dead' scared me:D

5. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

haha, I just played the demo for 360 and i wasn't that impressed

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

FEAR demo on 360

Well the thing is Condemned was far more 'next gen' than FEAR was anyway simply because of the different angle they took to weapons, and that's monolith too. It also looked a bit better than PC FEAR.

However this Xbox Live demo....

This was the same level anyone who has run TimeDemo will know all too well on PC, basically It's the same as the PC version with everything on VERY HIGH settings.

But in fairness there are some graphical new touches. Such as the Rats at the beginning in the Sewer, on the PC version they are the size of DOGS but they've been resized to their appropriate proportion here....

GLASS - it now shatters and explodes into far more pieces than on the pc version. Through a grenade behind some and watch it explode outwards in loads of little pieces rather than chunks on the pc. Small touch but it's nice.

SHADOWING - is also nicer, its HDR lighting now and in some areas in really shows compared to the pc version.

EXPLOSIONS - from your grenades are beefier and are VERY impressive.

DAMAGE MODEL - this has been tweeked too. I shot a guy in the ankle. Quit efunny. On pc he would have just bent down and protected his leg, on this version the guy turned around and tried to run away, only he was dragging the ankle I shot him in, along the floor. Very funny, very cool (of course I shot him in the back )

AA & FRAMERATE anti aliasing and a very smooth framerate also impressess. I ran at 1080i

Anyone whos played FEAR on a PC can testify that even a very high spec machine (mine was a P4 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, ATI X800XT - even at 1280x1024 was pushing it with FEAR on high settings, and there was times when framerate would really badly suffer.

This is smooth as butter and looks a weeshie bit better so the team at monolith should be complimented.

CONTROL - it's a lot harder to aim with the xbox controller than the keyboard & mouse on pc by the end of the demo I had got used to it. It could do with more sensitivity calibration I think...

That was the only/main downside.

WILL I BUY ? - Liking it a lot. Will i buy it again ? Don't know. The multiplayer was weak on the PC, if that's improved then maybe.

But I've seen the ending and was not impressed, and its only about 6 hours long so ?????? I never EVER thought it was scary either.

We'll see. It is good though...

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The FEAR PC demo made me scream like a little girl.

8. Allotriophagy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hold me.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Pants change first.

10. Allotriophagy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No longer wearing pants. Just sitting on a big plastic sheet and spritzing myself with liquid soap.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow thats more terrifying a image than any game can produce... ;) :p :D