f@H: -301,967 points

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Don't panic, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

ouch!

...let's see if we can find some silver lining:

- hopefully no real harm has been done to f@H (this could have been really damaging. If anything Pandegroup comes out of this well, having dealt with the issue quickly and effectively)

- it will send the right vibes in the folding community to behave

- JT should be legally ok (again, hopefully), and a bit wiser

- the project did get about 6000 wu done (i'm not condoning it, i'm just saying those data are as good as the rest)

- we're still in the top 20, with time to tuck our sleeves to fend off our immediate followers and climb back the charts again. we just need everybody's contribution

- we all got bumped up one position in the standings :)

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

without jethroteds help. or a significant amount of machines to fill his void, we will quickly fall in the stats

i reamain hopeful, but time is wasting now

3. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

yuck. i get the feeling we were fined more points than we should have been.

nobody's ever seen graphs like this on F@H, i bet:

Attached Files:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

jethtroted's suspect points were removed from the team.

It's really not that bad, if you consider where we were last year. It simply means that we need the everyday user to add their machines to the fold.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Exactly - big contributors are flashy and get a lot of attention, but it's the consistent, everyday contributions that will keep our team progressing through the ranks.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Consider that two years ago when I joined this team, we had 86 active and inactive members. As I just looked, we had 1368. Out of those, many are inactive. Can we convince those who still visit the forums to fold just one work unit a month? It's not asking a lot for people who have moderately powerful machines--say 700 MHz and up--but it would boost the output nicely. :)

8. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Just signed up and installing on my P4 3.0GHZ, Athlon64 3200+ and my Powerbook 1.33 :)

9. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Thank you, and welcome to the team.

I am HOPING to get a college lab added this summer, but I need to discuss it with the administrator.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Most lab administrators will be amenable if you explain the scientific basis of the program and that machine performance won't be affected.

Good luck in your discussion with the lab admin. :)

11. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Thanks... I will keep that in mind. I will be there next monday, so if I have time, I will try then.

12. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

that's not correct.
    right now we are producing around 32K/day, which is not too bad.
    We are losing ground to Silent PCReview (42K-30 days overtake) and p2p community(65K-90days), but we are holding our grounds on everybody else in the immediate proximity, and we are actually gaining on 3 teams in front, which are within reach (sudian media, 26K-7days; ABX zone, 29K-400days; Xtreme res, 17K-100days).
    the eoc stats are not showing this because they consider the negative dip when calculating the average. Give them a week and we'll have more accurate overtake lists.
    So we have all summer before we might lose our top 20 status, and many things can happen in a few months, so any lont-term stats are not very meaningful. If we could re-activate a fraction of our many dormient members, than we would have a shot at the higher echelons..

meanwhile, I'll probably activate another machine next week and head steadily to the top 20

13. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Ok, I talked with the admin earlier today and he doesn't seem too happy about it (nor did he seem to think that a process could use JUST the idle time).

Anyways, I will be bringing him a floppy tomorrow, and will probably install it on one machine to show him. (I would be installing it as a service, but I would show him the actual client).

It sounds like he is thinking it over, and I think that the "Well, there could be a direct benefit if it cures a disease and you end up getting that disease later in life." line might just have won him over, but I will see tomorrow.

If this works, it would be great.... I'll need to go after the other local schools next!

One last thing: Do you think I should get written permission from him so that there are no problems at all?

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As long as you're not the one installing it on the computers, you'll be fine. There is no need for anything else.

Good luck and don't be upset, if it doesn't work out.

15. cjc343 macrumors 6502

I will be upset if it doesn't work out.... it would be hard not to.

I would probably be the one installing it. No-one wants to work more than they have to, so if I want them to run F@H, they will probably want me to install it.

The thing is, people are less likely to agree to something if it involves them doing work, but if I do it all (I already offerred to) they might agree, that's why I was thinking to get written permission...

Anyways, I'm rambling, so that's all for now.

16. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

It would never hurt to get permission in writing. If it runs hidden in the background , using idle CPU time, all for team 3446...........Great job. :)

17. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Ok, I talked with the Lab admin earlier today, and he said "no, because I don't have enough control to let you do this, or to do it myself, but I would like a link so that I can do this at home"

so, I talked with another person, and he is hesitant too (but knew more about distributed computing and didn't need everything explained).

So, 1 new user, not for team 3446.

1 possible lab, hopefully for 3446 depending on whether they will use my config.

Not the desired result, I'll keep you posted on any future developements.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Be pleased. You're helping the cause. :)

19. cjc343 macrumors 6502

I am happy.... I've got one more person folding, that is a success. I would consider it a double success if I could get them folding for Macrumors, and a triple success if I could get them folding for me. :D

20. Tampa_artist macrumors newbie

R@H

hello, my name is dan, and i'm a mac-aholic new to macrumors. I just saw the thread about R@H, and figured I'd sign up.. I have a dual 2.0 ghz g5 w/ a gig, so hopefully I can help 3446 out with some numbers, oh yeah and to cure cancer or whatever it was for :)

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

R@H = rolding@home? Is that you Scooby? :D

Glad to have you with us Dan. Welcome!

22. Tampa_artist macrumors newbie

Ruhhoh! :D
    Rolding@home, or more like Holding at home, For some reason, I think i'm still on the same fold. and its been going for a good two days now. is this normal to find a really really long fold? or are my settings possibly off? I couldnt find a way to up the % I read arround that the average computer does from .7 - 2 a day, and the g5 doesnt seem to be doing to well.. maybe it doesnt like macs :mad: anyway, i'm off.. going to try and find out more info on tiger.. 10.4

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Certain Tinker work units will take several days, even on a G5, but weeks on a G3 or G4. I have one now that's been on my dual G4/800 since June 24th and will finish July 4th.

By the way, if you didn't know, it will not split the work between the two processors. You have to run two instances of folding@home with a work unit each on a dual processor and you can only do that with the console version.

24. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

A heavy (S)tinker takes about 9,5 minutes per frame for a G5. So something is not right. Look in the activity viewer (hope I translated it correctly from Dutch) to see how many idle cpu time folding is getting. When you are doing nothing else on it, it should be around the 95-98% of the cpu power.