F@H: erratic production

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Don't panic, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

our recent production profile looks like a Tour de France mountain stage!

[​IMG]

let's climb back to the over 30K plateau!

Fold on

edit: image

Attached Files:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think that's a matter of the smaller machines getting Tinkers about the same time as well as returning the results about the same time--large valleys and large peaks.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I just finished my first WU this morning-- time to celebrate! Sorry, I know it's not much but I'll keep at it. I have decided to hook up the slow G3 Blue and White afterall. I figured it doesn't cost me anything, save $5/mo on electricity and it's nice to put it to use... someone mentioned I could use it for "untimed" work units, but I don't know anything about those.

I just read-up on the whole jethroted saga... Well, for what its worth, I'm happy to be on this team. you guys/gals have always answered all of my questions without fail. Thanks all!

4. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

good job keysersoze!
    beware! folding is addictive...

now we only have to convince Lance Armstrong to fold for us!

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We're glad to have you.

I hope you're not frustrated with the output from the G3/350--it's your choice. ;)

6. daTrini macrumors newbie

daTrini

i have been putting out some reasonable output since the "jethoted saga" and have been in my own personal little races with MeunchMob and Lethal Wolfe however I lost two machines out of my four yesterday ( they had to be returned ) and the last one may go soon leaving me with only my home desktop. It sucks but that 1000+ I could be contributing per week is going to be closer to 600-700.

7. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm your next victim :(

Still, it's fun to watch to-ing and fro-ing with a couple of names you recognise.

8. Cprossu macrumors newbie

yes....if you are using the text console version it is easy as when you configure it to set up advanced settings and set a preferance for G@H.

genome@home is finished so it is now a flag indicating work for slower procs. The gromacs units have almost run out, so it is likely all you will get as soon as they get the proper server up is tinkers, which still add significant things to the research.

also if you want i think they make some decent upgrades for the bl+white g3's, but that is out of my area of expertise....happy folding :)

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It's kind of fun knowing its sitting being productive... when otherwise it might be a doorstop or surf-machine. I figure if I get addicted... (WHEN I get addicted) and start racing people on my level, I'll shell out for a powerlogix upgrade...ahhhh competetiveness! :)

EDIT: I'm 974th on the Team. Oof! Better get that upgrade card!

10. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

what is the team number for folding

is it 3446?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, their G3/800 is what I used on my G3/400 and it's great. Skip the 900 MHz upgrade and consider the 1 GHz upgrade. You could also buy mine and I could buy the 1 GHz upgrade. :D It's just too bad Powerlogix doesn't have upgrade pricing for their upgrades. Now, if I just had a small fortune for my dual G4/800, I could upgrade it with one of those dual 7457 models. :cool: :eek:

I'm glad that I can say that I've never been 974th. :p

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's a thought...get an iBook strap it to the bike, hook it up with satellite internet and he can power it just by pedaling along!

Brilliant! :D

13. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hmm... now the website says I've completed 3 WU's.... I guess my second and third were NOT Tinkers. But now I am 931st so I am on the up and up... :) We're you serious about letting go of the G3 800 upgrade? If you were PM with a price... maybe we can swing a deal.

14. daTrini macrumors newbie

daTrini

Yup you are going to be my next victim in about a minute from now. :D

I have to admit I am addicted to this folding thing (well my friends always say i am a man looking for an addiction ). Its fun to move up in the ranks however I am loosing cpus and my rate is going to start slowing down. But I will be away for three weeks so my desktop machine would fold for those three weeks at 100%.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Half serious about it, if I can work out the difference. Glad you're already moving up the ranks. Obviously, you got past all those who spent their time to get 0.6 points from one work unit way back in 2002.

16. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

while were talking about f@h...you can use fold proteins over clusters right?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

One work unit per processor. You cannot distribute a single work unit across a cluster.

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

That it is, that it is! but to all addictions come an end. Although I leave both machines running 24/7 I have to admit that I don't look at my scores as much as I used to. Probably because I don't overtake people as fast as I used to, but that is the price when you come in the top 50 of our team!

19. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

ah....to bad you couldn't

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It pretty much turns out the same considering that they're all spread out anyway. ;) It's just not as sexy this way.

21. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

I find more interesting to follow the fortunes of the team rather than my own. i guess the reason is that I have a fairly regular daily production, so it's quite predictable (and when something happens to my machines, I don't need the score to tell me). I do have a cool head to head with Adrian, but i find more entertaining to look at team stats, because we are involved in many "close" races (we really have to watch our back, they're coming for us)
    besides, our wobbling production keeps me wondering if the next day is going to be a 50K or a 15K one.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And I shall rise up from behind you and crush you like a bug! :D

But most likely not. Tinkers are just killing me right now.

Lethal

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i am providing fair warning...

i am currently in place 927. i expect to be in the top 20 by year end. so most of you mofo's will be gettin' passed up. check yer six. oh yeah!!!!

folding name: zim

24. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

If and when you might want to deal, just drop me a line... right now my PBG4 is doing all the work... I think it's resenting the "new guy" who, try as he might, just is so slooooowww.

Oh, and message to Zim-- I'll race you up the board.

:)