Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I think we'll see quite the point increase as everyone changes to the new core. I personally am about to be in the green for the first time ever. Also, I'm avergaing about 1.5 work units per day, which is much better than before. I still can't believe I'm about to fold 500 points this week. Lets keep up the production and catch some of these teams.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
We need to come up with a way to inform all our folders that they need to switch to the new F@H client if they are using a Altivec enabled computer. My work output has gone from 3 or 4 units a week to 2 per day. It's a simply astounding increase. And no, these units are not small ones. From the very start my units seem to average around 60 points each.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by MrMacman
MacBandit -- Yes really.

My production has increased alot.

1 unit every 3-4 days from me has increased.

From 60 points/week to over 100!

Yay!

:D

I just took a moment to see how I'm doing. I'm now outputting around 800points/week off my Dual/1.42. Prior to this I was outputting about 200points/week. It doesn't take a math genius to see a 4 fold increase.

As I have said this is simply astounding. Now all we need to do is to get everyone that can run this new client to update to it. The only question is how to reach them.

meeble

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
We need to come up with a way to inform all our folders that they need to switch to the new F@H client if they are using a Altivec enabled computer.

I thought that the F@H terminal app would download the latest core automatically??? Am I wrong? If I am, how do you tell the app to DL the new core?

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I've been so unlucky lately... I've been getting Tinkers after Tinkers... I only received a new Gromacs once and boy, was it fast!!!! I wish that there was a way to block Tinkers and make the client only get Gromacs.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
I've been so unlucky lately... I've been getting Tinkers after Tinkers... I only received a new Gromacs once and boy, was it fast!!!! I wish that there was a way to block Tinkers and make the client only get Gromacs.

If you're using the terminal version make sure you're running it with the -advmethods tag. That should force it to download mostly Gromacs units. I'm pretty sure you need to be using the terminal to do this though.

So run ./OSX-3.25 -advmethods and you should receive a majority of Gromacs work units.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The -advmethods flag is used to signal availability to beta test work units and cores. It happened to work with Gromacs WUs earlier because the Gromacs core was in beta test.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by bousozoku
The -advmethods flag is used to signal availability to beta test work units and cores. It happened to work with Gromacs WUs earlier because the Gromacs core was in beta test.

Bousozoku,

So is there a way i can force my Macs to get the Gromacs? Cause I've got my Dual G5 crunching Tinkers... Well its much faster then my G4, but still... I wanted to fold as much Gromacs as I can. Im getting Tinkers for my G5 for more then 2 weeks! :(

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I just did some re-reading and yes it will download automatically. Disregard my previous posts.

Hm... where have you got that info from?

All I have heard so far is that they redownload new cores after they are offically released and tested.

But so far this new core is great.

As in previous posts if you want to make sure you have it you can delete.

If you run the console version I'm pretty sure its in your

~/F@H/FahCore_78.exe

If you delete that it will automatically download a new core.

If the core was final and was released to the public then it will download for you already.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Hm... where have you got that info from?

All I have heard so far is that they redownload new cores after they are offically released and tested.

But so far this new core is great.

As in previous posts if you want to make sure you have it you can delete.

If you run the console version I'm pretty sure its in your

~/F@H/FahCore_78.exe

If you delete that it will automatically download a new core.

If the core was final and was released to the public then it will download for you already.

From this thread if fact your posts were part of the answer.

You stated that when you finished a unit after the new client was released it would download on it's own.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45309

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Bousozoku,

So is there a way i can force my Macs to get the Gromacs? Cause I've got my Dual G5 crunching Tinkers... Well its much faster then my G4, but still... I wanted to fold as much Gromacs as I can. Im getting Tinkers for my G5 for more then 2 weeks! :(

There is no way to force certain types of work units to be downloaded.

Remember that all work units need to be processed to help people, not just those which give points quickly.

In fact, because the PPC970 has better floating point, it's probably getting more Tinkers. The benchmarking is crude but it's most likely just enough to push you toward Tinker WUs. Feel good that you can finish them so quickly and hasten a solution for all people.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
From this thread if fact your posts were part of the answer.

You stated that when you finished a unit after the new client was released it would download on it's own.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45309

Yes when it was released... but if it wasn't released (like this past one) and was just quietly added it wasn't helping you unless you re-downloaded it.

When they make it 'offical' all the clients which don't have it now will download it.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Yes when it was released... but if it wasn't released (like this past one) and was just quietly added it wasn't helping you unless you re-downloaded it.

When they make it 'offical' all the clients which don't have it now will download it.

So the answer is still yes, it will download automatically. Just not until there is an official release.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
There is no way to force certain types of work units to be downloaded.

Remember that all work units need to be processed to help people, not just those which give points quickly.

In fact, because the PPC970 has better floating point, it's probably getting more Tinkers. The benchmarking is crude but it's most likely just enough to push you toward Tinker WUs. Feel good that you can finish them so quickly and hasten a solution for all people.

Well of course Yuki, I agree with you on that point. Thats the folding cause, not the points. But the faster I fold, the faster results can be out.

Besides that, I want to pass meeble! :D

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
In fact, because the PPC970 has better floating point, it's probably getting more Tinkers. The benchmarking is crude but it's most likely just enough to push you toward Tinker WUs.

Well I know my 1.6 G5 gets pretty much solid 70pt tinkers, 7 or 8 in a row? It does allright 2 a week for a machine that gets heavy use and it doesnt seem to have any effect if I leave it going while playing games.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Just consider that my G3/800 takes around 8 days to finish one of the 70.9 point Tinker WUs and each processor in my dual G4/800 takes around 12 days for the same thing.

As far as passing Meeble, that's not exactly an admirable goal. :p

If you're playing AltiVec-enhanced games, you want Tinker WUs so it's free to use AltiVec for your game. :D

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Yeah, no matter how slow your hardware is, it still helps... numbers make a difference.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Sunrunner
Yeah, no matter how slow your hardware is, it still helps... numbers make a difference.

Oh yeah, I'd take a lab of 20 900 MHZ P3's over 3 2-3 GHZ P4's for Folding anyday.

But only for folding, for gaming I'd take the P4's easy.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.