Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
hey! now, that 's what I call a spike!
what's going on? did pixar just join the team or was just a bizarre coincidence due to the end of a tinker storm?
can we keep it up?

fold on!

Attachments

• production_day.png
    production_day.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 170

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
It's pbbly because I just put my dual 2GHz G5 into the mix. It cranks on these things 24x7. ;)

By the way, it eats work units for breakfast. It's SOOO fast.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Unfortunately Pixar has not joined our team, AFAIK. It's more to do with the modifications to WU values. If you check the points page, you should see that the tinker units are worth a heck of a lot more than they ever used to. Some are going into the 200+ region! My guess is that stanford changed this because so many people have just been deleting tinker units, to get more points with gromacs. Stanford no doubt still need the results from tinker units, so they're offering more of an incentive for people to do them.

Sadly this isn't going to make much of a change to our performance in relation to other teams. If anything i believe it will push us further down, as macs are less than speedy on the tinker units.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
ah.
it was nice for a second.
I guess will have to wait a few days to see the new strength ratio settle.
do you know if wu started before the change will have be awarded the new points?
I have a tinker that has been going on forever. i'm hoping to get the new credit.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Don't panic said:
ah.
it was nice for a second.
I guess will have to wait a few days to see the new strength ratio settle.
do you know if wu started before the change will have be awarded the new points?
I have a tinker that has been going on forever. i'm hoping to get the new credit.

Work units downloaded before the switch to the new points system (20th april i believe) will still be awarded points from the 'old' system.

Edited for correction.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
i wish my high schol would hurry up and make the switch to OS X then i can put folding at home on the school computers i know i would be able to acess at least the 60 in the 2 writing labs i'm in. 40 eMacs and 20 G3 iMacs ought to help.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Don't panic said:
Is there a way to dump it and start a new one?

Yes, wait until it finishes. The client will automatically dump it and you'll get a new one. ;)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
bousozoku said:
Yes, wait until it finishes. The client will automatically dump it and you'll get a new one. ;)

:D
i know, i know....
i just hate to lose all those points (I have two of the 70>250 pts tinkers going since before the switch and they're only 50% done)

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
I think the blip is due to server 143 coming back on line... it was off line for DAYS, and WUs were queued up all over the place.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
?

I know this probably sounds incredibly stupid, but what is a tinker unit exactly? And gromacs? I dont really know much about folding, but contribute nevertheless....I have heard these terms, and am curious as to what they are.

Thanks in advance.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
jeff.macaddict said:
I know this probably sounds incredibly stupid, but what is a tinker unit exactly? And gromacs? I dont really know much about folding, but contribute nevertheless....I have heard these terms, and am curious as to what they are.

Thanks in advance.

Tinker and Gromacs are simply different types of folding core, both aimed at simulating the way proteins fold. The way they analyse the proteins is different, hence different names. Gromacs is a newer, faster and more effective way of analysing proteins, and used to be worth more points for us. Tinkers are what we've all been folding since the start.

No need to feel stupid, everyone needs to ask questions at some stage ;)

stoid

macrumors 601
chv400 said:
i wish my high schol would hurry up and make the switch to OS X then i can put folding at home on the school computers i know i would be able to acess at least the 60 in the 2 writing labs i'm in. 40 eMacs and 20 G3 iMacs ought to help.

It should be noted that you should only install folding on machines you own, or if you talk to the systems administrator. That said, do whatever you want, I won't try to stop you ;)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
MrMacman said:
Gromac is the core more optimized for the mac, while the tinker units are slow for the PC and super slow for the mac.

Yeah so again this is gonna hurt us alot.

Thanks, Eeyore. :rolleyes:

In case you hadn't noticed, we have just a few PCs folding for the team, and the new DGromacs (Core 79) are pretty hefty - it's a wash, IMO.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'll be throwing my Dual 1.8 G5 with two gigs of RAM into the mix when she gets here on Friday.

I am so new to folding, I want to learn as much as I can....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Rower_CPU said:
Thanks, Eeyore. :rolleyes:

In case you hadn't noticed, we have just a few PCs folding for the team, and the new DGromacs (Core 79) are pretty hefty - it's a wash, IMO.

I'm pleased with the speed of the Double Gromacs core. :)

A few PCs? How about quite a few? :D If it was still just a few, we probably never would have made it above # 33, where we were for so very long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.