F1 2006 qualifying rules

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jon'sLightBulbs, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Qualification rules for next year...

http://www.formula1.com/news/3770.html

What a cluster-fornication! 20 cars going all out head to head during qualifying... i predict crashes and more crashes even before the race begins.

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

why?
    it used to be like that before the 1 lap (temporary) change.
    and of course they have 20 cars lapping during the race.

3. Jon'sLightBulbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

And that's why you have crashes during the race. Because everyone's going head to head!

I like being able to focus on individual driver performances one at a time. There'll be enough mayhem during the race.

4. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

This will be much more interesting for fans though. You know how friggin boring it is to sit through qualifying at the track?

5. link92 macrumors 6502

I've been waiting... Single Lap quali sucked. If you made one mistake you were buggered. Driver's aren't perfect, they need more than one lap. Personally, from the looks of it, the original (pre-04) quali will still be better, but I guess my proper judgement will have to wait for March...

6. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I concur.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1 hour, 12 laps, race engine, no race fuel, same tire compound for race (not necessarily same tires though). It was good, it was exciting, and it ****ing worked.

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes! and it worked even better before those rules; there was a time when the only rule was: "1 hour". they had special engines and tyres, and rumour was some even had special fuel for quali session. it was damn good ;)

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i think not. the best teams only take it safe and drive one such lap per session that makes it into top ten for sure, and it's the lesser teams that actually use the time. you did notice that times are reset between the sessions, didn't you? there is no incentive for best teams to rev the engines before the last session begins.

no, they're going to take it on the safe side. no crashing, except probably between the minardis or whatever they call themselves next year.

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

For me the new quali sounds just great. Looking forward to it. Last year was so boring that I really never ever watched it. And I am a hardcore F1 fanboy since 1991.

Cheers

11. FireArse macrumors 6502a

It worked....

I could not agree more. So interesting. The thing that got me hooked was that Hakkenen or someone made a scorching lap early - and i liked the idea of people trying to better that - only for the same fella to do it himself on the dying seconds! I swear - some qualifying was more nail-biting than the actual race!

I'm gonna make more effort to watch British Touring Cars though - great fun!

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

no. they crash because they try to pass each other, which they have no reason to do in qualis, or because they make mistakes, which can happen at any time.
    15 minutes in which the good teams only have to post a top 15 time means that they (the good teams) will barely be on the track, and in any case the cars will be very spaced out as they have no interest whatsoever in racing close (they'd go slower).
    in the old time (1 hour free for all) everybody was out in the last 3 minutes to use the best track conditions, including the slow cars. now you have only ten cars, and because they will have more evenly spread out lapping in the hour, the last 20 minutes' rubber will be more even, with less need to get out at the last second.

the potential of the system is good, and the problem of the old system was that it was terrible for TV, as it had 50 min of nothing going on and then 5-10 of incomprehensible mayhem. this should be fun to watch on tv and at the track.
    the only thing i don't like is that they kept the fuel rule. It should be on low fuel, so truly is the fastest car in pole.

13. iGav macrumors G3

Often though, those 10 minutes provided more excitment than a whole hour of the current format. ;) Senna and Schumacher and last second attempts. Awe inspiring :D

12 laps, 4 sets of rubber, low fuel, 1 hour, 1 run within every 15 minutes. :D That will do nicely. ;)

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not difficult since the current format provides almost no entertainment...I think it will be much better.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Schumi and Hakkinen going head to head in the last 20 or so minutes was always exciting :cool:

16. Jon'sLightBulbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like the consensus is that the new qualifying rules will rock. This f1 fan has only been watching for 2 years, so maybe a little inexperience is clouding my judgement. Cheers.

17. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

Schumi hasn't been very exciting laterly
    :p

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Note the past tense :(

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't expect the slump to last long... he doesn't really even need a good car to win, just a halfway decent one.

20. iGav macrumors G3

Eh? with the exception of a couple of races (Australia and China), I think he's been outstanding all season... just look at Suzuka, mixing it with cars that were at times 2 seconds a lap quicker. :D as well as monster performances at Imola, Monaco and Hungary. ;)

In Peter Windsor's opinion, he's driver of the year. ;)

He's still got it. ;)

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, put anyone else (except maybe Kimi) in the F2005 and they would not have accomplished what he did.

22. link92 macrumors 6502

What waas wrong with that in the first place?

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

As far as the action on the track was concerned, nothing. But Bernie's all about the $$.

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes, i agree; however, this might be something they will change after some time. they cannot admit being wrong with the fuel rule, can they? ;)

25. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I kinda like the new fuel rule, because it means the big teams don't spend millions developing qualifying-only petrol or indeed cars. Bit silly if a car has to change fuel to start the race - seems a bit backward if you ask me.:eek:

BTW, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/4341488.stm - Nico Rosberg (Kiki Rosebrg's son) has got the Williams seat for next year.