F1: Jacques Villeneuve the end?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iTwitch, Aug 7, 2006.

1. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Looks like BMW are cutting JV lose to give Robert Kubica a shot. Is this finally the end for JV? Is this the year F1 sweeps out the old for the new?

http://www.formula1.com/news/4785.html

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Mika Salo commented about this during the last race, and he said that JV's tale is over. JV has apparently said so, and the stories about some injury are of mental type according to MS.

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

interviewer:" what's the difference between you and JV?"
    Kubica: "Mmmhh, my pace?"
    :D :D

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

He's going to have a hard time finding another seat, assuming he's still looking for one.

5. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I thought he was d*** lucky to land a ride at Sauber after his falling out at BAR and before BMW actually took over Sauber JV was shooting off again. When BMW suggested his contract may not be binding he shut up. He likes to talk to much about things that should probably stay in the team and I think it cost him a lot of good will among the hierarchy.

6. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Especially because since his move to BAR from Williams, he's struggled to outperform his co-drivers. I loved him at Williams, but I guess the truth he had a great two seasons there and has nothig of note since.:(

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't think Jaques wants another ride. He has been dropping hints about retiring for some time. I think the shunt convinced him to get out now.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

JV has been around 10 years, but apart from his 7-win championship 1997 season has only 4 wins and hasn't made a huge impression lately.

I have nothing against him as a driver but he doesn't come to mind when I think of drivers who can challenge the Schumi/Kimi/Fernando triumvirate...1997 appears to have been a fluke.

9. iGav macrumors G3

1997's Williams was a rocket ship more like... :p

So... he'll be off to that race series that's increasingly popular with drivers that can't hack it in F1 anymore then. ;)

10. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

What? Top Gear?:p

11. iGav macrumors G3

Close... NASCAR teehee.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Fisichella will probably be joining him on the oval track before long - I'm even doubtfull as to whether he'll be driving in '07.

Villeneuve has had a pretty dissapointing "return" to F1, so I wonder whether he's even interested in continuing...if he does it will probably be with Super Aguri or MF1...:eek:

13. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I knew that.:D Maybe Jacques can go to BTC - I heard Jason Plato needs a rival!:p

BTW with all these F1 threads/ posts (and me surely to hit 500 if iGav and Lord Blackadder start all these threads:D :cool: ) I guess I'm gonna have to look for an F1-related 'tar. Any thoughts anyone?

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Something involving Bernie Ecclestone's hair.;)

15. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Really? I read something earlier today about him wanting an F1 ride or NASCAR.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, I don't think Renault would have re-signed him if they didn't want him to stick around.

And I'm calling JV's return to CA- erm, ChampCar (or IRL, has he did win Indy once upon a time). Well, that or he'll try to win Le Mans, and try to one-up Mario (HA!).

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, today he announced that NASCAR and F1 are his options, so apparently he thinks he may have a drive in F1 next year...

18. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

??? Torro Rosso maybe - an all North American line-up? Maybe iGav's rumored Midlands Mercedes? Or this 12th team we're getting? And thats at a push...maybe we need to get Martin Brundle on the case.:cool:

Edit: New team (David Richard's Prodrive) doesn't enter until 2008 so that is a no go.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I dunno...the way Scott Speed is driving I can't see him being around too long. Midland sounds like a possibility...He isn't Japanese so I guess Super Aguri is out.

NASCAR sounds more likely to me - for an F1 driver it's a great "retirement" move. It's easier but still pays big.

20. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

And Richards and Jacques pretty much hate each other.

Unfortunately, this is it for Jacques. In a short time, the two most charismatic and interesting drivers (the other being Juan Pablo Montoya) in F1 have left. We are left with dullards like Kimi and Michael Schumacher, who, whilst being supremely talented, are about as interesting and engaging as watching paint dry.

21. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

When I said earlier JV almost talked his way out of F1 (he was gone for a year) it was Richards he was talking to. Mostly.

"charismatic and interesting"?, maybe JPM when he's on but I don't recall much positive about JV since his Williams days. After arriving at BAR it was pretty much downhill? Actually, he did have some midfield success at BMW?