F1 - Newey Moves to RedBull for 2006

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JupiterTwo, Nov 8, 2005.

1. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2003
    BBC reporting that Adrian Newey (McLaren Techincal Director) has agreed to join Red Bull F1 from Feb 2006!

Wow - I'd heard before that he was looking at new challenges, but always thought they'd be outside of F1.

Interesting times - I wonder what impact this has on Kimi for 2007 - wonder if this was a factor in the Ferrari rumours?
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Good catch that man. ;) I must be getting slower in my old age. :D

Yeah, he's always wanted to design that racing yacht hasn't he.

Although, that said, remember a few seasons ago he was all prepped to join Jaguar Racing (Now Red Bull Racing ;)) until he was convinced by Ron Dennis to stay at McLaren.

Either way, it's a massive coup for Red Bull, although it's too late/early in the year to allow him to weave his magic for '06, the '07 car should be very competitive.

I think reliability issues are the biggest factor as to whether Kimi will leave McLaren or not.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    That's an amazing move for Red Bull, but unfortunately much to late to have any major influence over the 2006 car.
  4. Malcster macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2005
    Bristol, UK
    Im not so sure on his first prototype tho...

Quite a coo for Red Bull, i remember the mess they got in when they were Jaguar and tried to get him.

Attached Files:

5. JupiterTwo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2003
    heh - I was a wee bit surprised you hadn't posted ;)

At the beginning of the season yeah, but with Newey's aero magic I'm sure there'll be some sweet tweaks coming along. With him having worked with DC before too, the feedback loop should be good.

It's bizarre - all these little changes - new World Champ, Schuey on the rebound, Honda full presence & B-team, Newey moving - I'm starting to anticipate the new season even more - I might even go so far as to start reading Autosport again :p
  6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    what does a technical director really do?

is this guy like the architect of something?
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    He heads up the Technical Department.

He's a designer, and arguably the most innovative aerodynamicist of this or any other generation. A little more information about him here.

That said, McLaren do have other designers and aerodynamicists that can fill his shoes, though they'll certainly feel the hit of him leaving, and it certainly cannot be considered anything less than a massive blow to McLaren.
  8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Wow. This is news.

I immediately wonder what effect this will have on Torro Rosso - Newey will most likely have a great deal of influence over chassis design for their cars as well.

Red Bull have really put some serious effort (and money) into their F1 programs and I expect we'll see them become true contenders in the not too distant future.
  9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Should make things interesting. Maybe Coulthard will have that championship chance again in the future ;)
  10. MOFS macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2003
    Durham, UK
    How about this tho'. In a couple of years time Red Bull will essentially have a Mclaren chassis...with Ferrari engines!:eek: