F1 result... spoiler.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, May 9, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Well bend me over and call me Barbara if the boy Schumi doesn't whoop everyone yet again! :D

5 in a row eh', and his 59th Pole (only 6 behind Senna now :D ).

Quite a tight race though, the way that Renault out dragged a Ferrari, a BMW and a Honda to the first corner was spectacular, there's something well dodge in the way that Renault takes off though, they've obviously found a rule loop hole because the way that they pick up from a standing start is incredible... gaining multiple car lengths within 100 metres. :eek:

Bit of sweaty palms moment mid race when Schumi's exhaust started playing up, I was expecting his first mechanical retirement since Germany '01, but once the telemetry was all checked... and Pow! he starts punching in the lap times again! sweet! :D

McLaren seem to have given up on the MP4-19, judging by what Brundle was saying, all dev is being focused on the 19B due for Germany mid summer... that's probably a wise thing to do as the 19 not only looks plain jane slow, but also evil handling wise...

What I can't see though is where Newey is going to find the 1-2 seconds he'll need to get the car competitive with Ferrari, the 19 is a tweaked 18 so the platform isn't exactly old in dev terms, and certainly it's a seriously resolved car aerodynamically... but I just don't see them catching up this season, if they can't do it whilst developing a brand new car over the last 2 seasons (the MP4-18 design was started in '02) then I can't see them managing it in 6 months... unless Merc-Illmor have some kind of super-duper engine up their sleeves (and I find that hard to believe considering how they've not had the best engine for years now), either way... McLaren are in seriour trouble.

BMW Williams are also way off the pace, and that's a surprise, they were knocking in the times in Winter testing, but so far they're behind both the Renaults and the BAR's, and with losing both drivers for next season, they could be in serious trouble for next season too.

Thoughts???

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hey, you ruined my weekly deja-vu... ;)

Well, Schumi wins and wins and wins, so at least your thread title changes...

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I don't suppose anyone can rememeber if an exciting overtaking manouvre took place during the race?

I actually watched half of this race, the latter half, and it was quite the dullest thing I've seem. This was admitted by the commentators, the poor saps who try desperately each week to make something exciting out of nothing:

This week "will the broken exhaust wreck Schu's chances?"

Answer No. He still lapped faster than every other car throughout the rest of the race.

They better change the rules before they lose the interest of everyone apart from obsessive maniacs! [No offence iGav;)] I just wish something was done to stop me having to find more interesting things to do on race day. I had banked on Button stirring things up, until the qualifying lap disaster.

Oh well. Yawn goes another season.
    :(

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i guess that was it ... i really doubt anybody can danger schumis championship this year

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

heheheh... I was thinking of changing the thread title after the last race but forgot, so this way anyone that stumbles into the forum, won't have the result ruined for them if they want to watch the highlights later... I guess I'm just being abit more considerate for those that maybe don't get to see the race live, but don't want the result ruined if they decide to do some pimpin' on MR! ;)

Savage Henry, have you seen the replay of the Renaults start?? man... there's something seriously dodge in the way they take off.... :eek:

Something definately needs to be done about the aero/mechanical grip balance, cars need to be able to stick behind another car on entry to the straight so we can see some overtaking, because at the moment cars simply can't follow close enough to get a tow down the straight to overtake... (remembers Mansells overtaking move on Senna at this track in 1991) . Surely they could sort this for next season??? :rolleyes:

Either way, Schumi has just raised the bar yet again this season, I'm still wondering exactly how fast the F2004 can go, because at the moment I don't thinking Schumi's had to take it there. :eek:

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Another race. Another deja-vu ! I really hope the others find a way ! :mad: Formula One gets more boring over time.

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Sorry for not responding (been drinking)!

I would have to admit the start is still the best part of the race, so the kind of questionable performance that the Renault team seem keen to show us each time is what could add those extra uncalculable ingredients that make a race special. But sadly the two cars on the from row are invariable red and what goes on behind them at the start and throughout the race is significantly inconsequential. A case where objects in the mirror are smaller than how they actually appear. :rolleyes:

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  9. ecche macrumors regular

hanging out with old friends i missed the race ... and don't regret it for a moment. everyone should be doing something better than watch tv on such a lovely sunday.

10. Souljas macrumors regular

and the Farrari of Schewy hasnt had a major mechanical problem for sooo many races, its a pretty amazing car.

11. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I was very careful not to check the forums Sunday because I didn't want to know the result. I had to wait 12 hours until the replay here (I forot to TiVo it) but I had a feeling Schumi won.

I got a huge laugh on the US telecast when Peter Windsor was giving Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson (#3 and #2 in the NASCAR points standings) a tour of the Jaguar garage and he had to explain who they were to Mark Webber. :D

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

12 hours.... ouch! I've changed my thread titles now, so you you'll be safe to view the forums from now on without having the results spoiled, I'll still post even if Schumi retires from a race so even when you see an 'F1' thread, it doesn't mean that Schumi has won again... ;) although he probably has! heheh.

But rather than use the thread title Schumi does it again it'll be F1 result... spoiler like this one, so people can check the site without having the result spoiled for them... it was a lapse on my part before. ;)

I've heard of Jeff but not Jimmie... and I wouldn't have the foggiest what they looked like. NASCAR only gets coverage on some of the digital channels and never in a prime time spot, same goes for CART and IRL they just don't get the coverage at all, WRC, Touring Car, Moto GP and Superbikes hog all the limelight here... all are very popular.

So what's the F1 coverage like in the U.S.?? I managed to find a station showing the the Hungarian GP live, when I was in Oregon in 2000 at about 3 in the morning, so I stayed up all night drinking Newcastle Brown in this Motel room watching it, where the owner had upgraded me to his best room because it was the first time he'd had a European stay... heheh.

13. craigdawg macrumors 6502

The coverage is OK; I can watch practice, qualifying, and the race on cable. Of course with the time difference, I have to be up at early (0430) so I rarely watch the races live. I was at the USGP last year and while it's a big local event, it still pales in comparison to the Indy 500 and even the Brickyard 500. 99% of race coverage is devoted to NASCAR here. Turn left anyone?

Conversely, Newcastle Brown coverage is excellent. I can get it on tap and most bars here in northern California and in the bottle at most markets. It's one of my favorites. I would say it has the greatest market share of any ale, at least where I live. :D

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You're not missing much really. IRL and NASCAR make the World's Biggest Left Turn. CART, well, they seem to be having various problems right now.

It's pretty good. And thanks to Fox's $$, better than it was a few years ago (I can't believe I said that... :eek: ) ABC somehow managed to snag coverage of the 2000 and 2001 USGP and I think the 2001 Euro GP. Needless to say, it pretty much sucked. Especially in the commentating. I don't think you can even match Steve Machett (pit member for Benetton/Schumi 9?-95(?)) Bob Varsha (hasn't done anything special, but makes technical stuff understandable for newbies.) and David Hobbs (former driver, I think he did F1 for a bit too). You just can't beat that combination for combined experience and insight. Also, they have managed to grab a hold of Peter Wright. He does some writing for F1 Racing, and he asks the questions at the primary press conference after the race and quali. What a staff! :D

15. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I'd forgotten there was a Grand Prix on Sunday. Doesn't look like I missed anything exciting tho'...