F1 to stage London Grand Prix?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, May 22, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Hmmmmmm... now I know Regent St is being closed off in July to allow some F1 cars to speed down it in a demonstration run, but holding a race smack in the centre of the West End?? :eek: this is after all, the sophisticated city where scum throw stones at Marathon runners, pretty much everything else at David Blaine, and is the home of Nike wearing, anti-globilisation-capitalism-and-anything-else-that-rubs-them-up-the-wrong way protesters :rolleyes:

I can't ever imagine them being able to close down roads though from a Friday till a late Sunday afternoon, never mind all the work required to bring the roads up to something even approaching smooth tarmac... :p

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=51699

2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

3. m4rc macrumors 6502

I bet they would have trouble getting past the black cabs though - they really hog the road!

Marc

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not going to happen. London simply cannot have a large section of the center of town closed to traffic for 3 days!

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    why not? they managed to get their fee to travel within the city in place...

maybe not that route, they should go through hyde park perhaps, a la Melbourne, and i'm not sure whether the Queen would like tyre marks on The Mall either...

but what a sight it would be, going through Picadilly Circus? awesome