Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Hey guys f12 is the dashboard button when i first got it but it didnt work so i changed it to f8 and it works, hwy didnt it work on f12

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I see that you have an iBook. I believe that F12 acts as the CD eject key on iBooks. Try Fn-F12 and see what happens.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
runninmac said:
Yep that will do the trick. Or you could change Dashboard to F8 like I did, It makes it alot easier (IMO) to get to it.

This is also what I did. :) Much better....

Apple's system with function keys and the Fn-key on notebooks can be confusing. The basic idea is that if there is a system function printed on the keytop, then that function supercedes the Fx key, and you get the Fx key with Fn-Fx. But if there is no printed system function, then you get the Fx just by pressing the key. So some of the Fn keys work consistently across the iBook/PB line, because different models have different system functions on the keys (keyboard backlight, external monitor, etc....).

But once you get it down, it doesn't become an issue, because hardly anything uses the Fn keys... So I actually never do Fn-Fx for any of them....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.