F12 CD Drive Eject

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kidA, Apr 25, 2005.

1. kidA macrumors regular

I have a 12 inch ibook g4 1 ghz and all of a sudden today i noticed that pressing the F12 key no longer ejects CDs from the combo drive. any ideas on what might have happened?

the only thing i've noticed is that also, F12 now opens a "save as" dialog box in ms word when word is open. otherwise the key doesn't do anything at all, other than make the beeping noise.

2. Ogre55 macrumors member

Try going into you system preference and choose the keyboard panel. There is a check box that says something about F7-F12. If I have it check F12 just beeps at me. Check and see if the box is checked. If it is try unchecking it and see if that helps.

3. kidA thread starter macrumors regular

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There have been reports that this sometimes happens to iBooks on the dot upgrades to Panther...people reported it for 10.3.7->10.3.8 and 10.3.8->10.3.9. Some people have reported that repairing disk permissions, fully shutting down the computer and rebooting, and then repairing disk permissions again, and fully shutting down and rebooting again, will solve the problem, but I have not gotten around to trying it yet....

5. kidA thread starter macrumors regular

hm. i am repairing permissions now. we'll see.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Repairing permissions and rebooting brought it back for me. :)

7. kidA thread starter macrumors regular