f12 is suppose to open AND close cd tray....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NusuniAdmin, Feb 19, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

You know how on keybaords that don't have the eject key f12 is suppose to eject and close. Well on my beige g3 rev.3 it opens....but does not close. When i push f12 again after it opens it sounds like it is trying to open again (there is a clicky sound). Any ideas. I suspect the drive is too old or something.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

No idea as to why thats happening! If your using Mac OS X then you can put an eject menubar item in your menu bar.

Go to:

yourharddrive/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

In that window find one that says Eject.menu and double click on it and it will appear in the menu bar. That should open and close the CD tray.

3. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

still no working

Ya even did the menu, still opens but does not close, i seriously think the cd rom is too old or sumtin.

4. Calliander macrumors member

1) Third-party (non-Apple) drive.

2) Bad drive.

3) Bad software.

If you have the regular drive in there that came with it, the drive is probably bad. However, I would try booting from another HD and seeing if the problem still exists (if you have another HD to do that with).

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's interesting. I've never seen any machine older than a QuickSilver or an iMac pull in the drive that way.

I have a Blue and White machine and I've never been able to do anything other than push the drive to get it to close.

6. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Ok so it probly has something to do with the rom or something, since it seems lots of older macs cant pull it in, only push it out.