F12 shortcut for Dashboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Peter Griffin, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

I've just got my iBook and left all the factory settings intact. When I check under system preferences>dashboard/expose I find that the shortcut for dashboard is F12. WHen I press F12 nothing happens. Sometimes the eject icon will appear but other than that I have to drag my mouse to the dashboard icon in order for it to open. Am I doing something wrong here or is it the iBook?

2. reh macrumors 6502a

I just changed mine to F8. If you don't want to do that, you could try holding down the "fn" key while hitting F12. That might work.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I have a hot corner set up for the top-lefthand corner for Dashboard. I use that much more often than I hit F12. Try it and see if you like it.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think F12 is open (it is only F12 and nothing else) on all Apple laptops. Try trashing the preferences for Dashboard. They're found in: /~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist and /~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.client.plist where ~ is your home folder.

5. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

You should just have to hold down "fn" while pressing F12, as reh originally said. It works that way on my TiPB.

6. KALIF macrumors newbie

edit: sry I figured it out =) ;/ Second day on mac and OS X. =)

7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

well, I'l share my ibook keyboard config

I have All window's default button as F9,

since, i don't use application windows, I removed it,
    so I made F10 as show desktop, and F11 as dashboard. one button away from the original place isn't that bad :D