Face Transplant

Discussion in 'Community' started by jiv3turkey748, Sep 17, 2005.

1. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

3. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

They have been talking about this for ever.

The first "face transplant" (not exactly a transplant) happened in india in a while ago when this little girls hair got pulled into a farming machine and it ripped 1/2 her face off. She was rushed to the nearest hospital which was 3hrs away via motor scooter. Her mom took her face that was ripped off and put it in a bag and brought it with. At the hospital the doctor preformed microsurgery and successfully put the face back on. The girl has a giant scar down her face, but at least she has one.

This will be interesting. It does sound a little unethical, but you also have t think about how emotionally scared these burned people are. I would be afraid that the skin tissue would be rejected, and if that happens- what do you do.

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

thanks for that.
    :eek:

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...hmm, you mean that Face/Off movie with John Travolta and Nicholas Cage may *not* be fiction after all??? ...oh yeah!

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

While questionable, it does seem that the doctors and hospital have done all they can to address needs and concerns.

I would be proud to donate my face (I have indicated my desire for organ donation) so that someone that is disfigured would have an opportunity to live a "normal" life.

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I think it's un ethical, but if the people of the money. They can do whatever they want with themselves.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

How is this unethical? Emotional scares can be as much in need of care, as does a bad heart, kidney, what ever organ you want to mention.

I can see that if perfected that the procedure could/would be abused. But is that any reason to limit access to people that could truly benefit?

9. mpw Guest

I would too. Unfortunately anyone with my face is hardly going to have a normal life unless they're already so hansome that they can't make it down the street without everyone checking them out. People never act on it but I feel their stares undressing me!

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

At least this doctor is doing a full evaluation of the person. There are major side effects to any surgery which can be as serious as bleeding, infection, and death. Also important that person can handle this psychological and the physical ramifications. The less appealing part is that those of us tax payers will be paying a part of this in our health insurance.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would rather pay for this that some war based on false information. Or tax cuts that for those wealthy few.

12. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Face 'plant

Hmmmm,
    From the frying pan to the fire ???

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I thought this was a bit scary; it would make me think twice

before choosing to have this done!

Eek, a black face requiring more surgery to 'fix' it? *shudder* And getting a face from a cadaver. :eek:

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well you can't exactly get a face from a living person now can you? ;)

G5Unit,
    How is this unethical? It's being pioneered to help people who have been horrible disfigured and it is more than just cometic. Both points are clearly stated in the article.

Lethal

15. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

A living face - easy

Yeah that's p*ss easy, all you have to do, is get them off their face first. I think we've all been there, just lucky no one was looking for a spare face at the time.
    Grey Beard

16. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Thanks for that mental image...

Cripes... :(

I can see this being useful for people who are horribly disfigured.

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Right, we've had Face Off, how long till Robocop?

Their must be some Doctor somewhere who thinks he's found the answer to 21st century policing.

And if so, can we have a few in Britain, bring down the crime rate?

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

don't know why it took them so long. most valuable skin there is, the skin on the face. we've been scavenging from corpses since we knew how. i just wonder if my organ donor card needs to be updated to allow for this tissue donation now.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I got a face transplant last week, purely for vanity reasons.

Unfortunately, it was from my identical twin brother. :( :rolleyes: