Face transplants 'now possible'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Nov 11, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

man this is wild... I hope ths doesn't mean that rich disfigured people will start putting out contracts on handsome young devils like myself.... heheheh!!

Rinky dink link....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3259773.stm

or full story below...

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Ok this is pretty creepy. How would the family of the deceased handle seeing their loved one's face on someone else?!

I don't know. This happened in that bad movie Face Off, I don't think it's right. :(

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I need to buy one of these and escape quickly now.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Hmm...does that mean I get your lens collection? ;)

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would be against this type of transplant. In reality this occuring was only a matter of time. With the vanity of aging Baby Boomers and an increase in disposable income, they can now realize the look of youth.

6. Santiago macrumors regular

I doubt the end result would look exactly like the 'face donor' in any case, given that the underlying skull would be different.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

With the abilities of plastic surgeons today, I have no doubt but that the similarity would be striking. They can reshape bone using bone from other parts of the body. Or even plastic prosthetics.

9. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Creepy to think my Dad could be giving people face transplants in the next year or two! I'll have to ask and see how he feels about it.

Alia

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I completely agree with you.

How would this person, say who was a burn victim for a long time, convey to people that the man that he looks like is actually the original person :rolleyes: It seems like a bad path to follow down. What is the next step? Killing those with a pretty face? Pretty people farms? Drive-by Killings of NY Models?

It is a sad sad day.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Put Balmers face on Gates and cap him ... 2 birds with one stone :D

maybe this does have a practical application :D

12. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Don't forget those that are disfigured by an accident or a fire. I'm sure they would be happy to receive a face transplant... It's not all about vanity.

13. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I don't think it is as trivial as the media has made it seem. Most likely, along with the transplant, you would have to take immuno-suppressants so your new face doesn't reject you.

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

What call my attention is how the writer turned the same information back and forward over and over just to make more lines in the redaction. I mean, it touches the "Moral and Piscological" theme 5 times, the article is repeating itself over and over again.

how cheap.

15. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Pretty people farms......? Hmmmm.... Well, as long as it's not a genocide of Jews or Africans, I suppose we're all right. ;)

I just hope this means we get rid of Julia Roberts once and for all. As long as the person that gets her face doesn't have the same hideous personality.

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I support this proceedure. It would enable those who do not live normal lives already because of some horrible disfigurement to have at least a chance at a normal life. There may be good reasons to accuse people or society in general of being obsessed by appearance but this should not prevent people from trying to avoid social stigma.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

The only way I can see this as beneficial to the donor's family would be if the transplant came from another region of the country. It would be horrific for anyone to endure seeing their dearly departed's likeness walking around.

One thing I'd like to know though. Say if someone donates their face, how does their funeral work if they aren't getting cremated?

18. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

But how similar would your face look on someone else? Sure you would have the same moles and dimples, but your eyes would be different, your nose size would be different. They probably would cut the facial skin to fit tight, so it would be like you had a facelift.

I would have to see one, but I am not certain that the recipient would look all that similar to the donor.

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I wonder if this technology will be worked into either season 3 or season 4 of 24??

Remember in season 1, Gains had that guy undergo plastic surgery to look like the photographer. If the directors want to bring back an old character they regret killing off in a previous season, this would be a great way of doing it.

SPOILER IF YOU ARE STILL WANT TO SEE THE END OF SEASON 1:

It would be crazy if Jack's enemies were to go after him by putting Teri's face onto one of their agents. Whoa, scaaarrrry! ;)

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that those disfigured through an accident, fire, or cancer would greatly benefit from this technology. My fear is that it will be misused. An example is the use of growth hormone. It was meant for those short of stature, for some reason they have a lack of the hormone. Now those with money that want to be taller are requesting it from their doctor.