Face unlock?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kat.hayes, Oct 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2011
    I saw this as a feature over a year ago on Android, does it exist on a Note2 or Note3?
  2. macrumors 68000

May 16, 2011
    Eau Claire, WI
    I personally think this is the worst option of the bunch, especially if you unlock in the dark a lot.
  3. macrumors 68020

Jun 16, 2010
    Not that I can see on my Note 3. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots?
  4. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2011
    Face unlock has come a long way. I've been tinkering around with it recently, and it's remarkable how dark it has to become for it to stop working. Also, you're able to "improve" the facial recognition now by capturing multiple and different takes of your face (in light, in the dark, with glasses, without glasses, with a hat, without a hat, etc.). And you'd think that this would muddle the feature but sure enough, I tried putting my hat/glasses on someone else and it wouldn't unlock.

Also, in your scenario, even if it is too dark, the backup patter/pin comes up right away. You barely miss a beat. It's like if you're wearing gloves while using Touch ID on the iPhone. For those times, you'll just resort to the pin. Not a big deal. Though, I can totally get foregoing face unlock if, as you say, you very often use your device in darkness.

I go more in depth in my recent impressions of face unlock here for anyone curious:

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2011
    Where is the option to do this on a Note 2 or 3?
  6. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Not on the Note 3 - yet it was on the S4. Go figure..