Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Well no **** Google wants to be more prominent. More ads = more $ and hopefully = more user-base.

dstankus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
As long as it stays completely simple to BLOCK all of my data, activities, information, location, etc from these parasites they (Apple) can do what they want.

Don't make me jump through hoops to protect my info like Facebook currently does on their site.

One software switch, cleverly labeled "Don't give these Facebook parasites anything" will suffice.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Well seeing how apple went away from google maps we all know apple wants as little to do with google as possible and trying to shut them out.

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
"We would still really like them to use our maps," Schmidt said.
Of course you would.
"It would be easy for them to take the app in the store and put it as their basic one."
Yea because rewriting the MapKit framework to conform to your API is easy

shortugae

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
well... both facebook and google are competitors to apple. why on earth would apple essentially advertise them in their OS?

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I don't give a schmidt what they say. Both companies can go facebook themselves.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I also heard that Burger King would like McDonalds to feature them more prominently.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Really kind of astounding how entitled these people are.

I'd love Apple to feature my App more. Hell, a "What's hot" or "App of the week" would be fine and dandy.... much less than Facebook or Google want, which is really for Apple to embed their technology at the OS level.

The reason Apple made their own maps is that they discovered, painfully, that trusting google was a major mistake, when google turned around and ripped off iOS to make android.

Let's not forget that Facebook is also being completely hypocritical here, after saying yes to ping, and then pulling it at the last minute, they want Apple to be open with them?

Or google, which refuses to respect anyone's privacy, and is all kinds of closed but wants access to everyone elses' info and platforms?

Except android doesn't really look anything like IOS( other than samsung's touchwiz) Not to mention look how their own maps app turned out for them...

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
I would be indifferent to Maps using Google Maps data, but putting Google Maps as the new mapping app would be disgusting! It lags so badly and has a terrible interface.

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Except android doesn't really look anything like IOS( other than samsung's touchwiz) Not to mention look how their own maps app turned out for them...

Just because they put a different color paint on the outside, that doesn't change the fact that Eric Schmuck was on the Apple board and know about the iPhone project beforehand.

Just one look at this is proof enough:

Android before iPhone (notice it's a blackberry clone, interesting pattern of behavior)
Screen-Shot-2011-10-27-at-16.26.12-1.jpg

and after:

rh_t_mobile_press2.jpeg

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
What a bunch of tools. iOS doesn't need any more products from them, we have the option to use their apps already, it's suposed to be up to the end user.

There is no need to be on iOS when they have their poor clone OS already for spamming with crap software etc

You mean, the end user that can have apps that are integrated with Siri? (Which is possible if you jailbreak...)...or the end user that can have notifications the way they want? Or a lock screen that displays relevant info? Or an app that can play audio from video in the background when not in use like youtube used to? Or a custom webbrowser?

Oh wait. Apple doesn't allow any of that for no apparent reason. My bad.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Easy

Facebook wants deeper integration into iOS? How about this. FORCE other apps to use the built in integration that exists. 9 times out of 10 when you need to log into something for Facebook, you are presented with their web login, not the default "Hey, you are signed into Facebook in your iOS Settings already, want to continue as {NAME}?"

That is all on Facebook, not Apple.

As far as Google? You had your chance and blew it. As Cinderella sang in the late 80's, "Don't know what'cha got, 'til it's gone."

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg are two of the most socially awkward interviewers I've ever seen. They're old corny, nerdy but not trendy, pushovers.
Get Topolsky on there, he's a bit awkward too but at least he's on the verge of the curve.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Why is anything Eric Schmidt says front page worthy on MR? :confused:

Seems to be a slow period with little new apple news lately.

----------

Just because they put a different color paint on the outside, that doesn't change the fact that Eric Schmuck was on the Apple board and know about the iPhone project beforehand.

Just one look at this is proof enough:

Android before iPhone (notice it's a blackberry clone, interesting pattern of behavior)

and after:

Knowing about something still doesn't make it a copy. I mean if they did copy it doesn't really look like IOS i mean the app drawer alone differentiates it from IOS.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg are two of the most socially awkward interviewers I've ever seen. They're old corny, nerdy but not trendy, pushovers.
Get Topolsky on there, he's a bit awkward too but at least he's on the verge of the curve.
Right, because we want some hipster who would gush and fawn of them instead because of something new and shiny regardless of how usable it is much like how some tech bloggers were all gaga over Metro.
:rolleyes:

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
How about no? Google is being a little bʼtch because Apple switched to TomTom for maps and went as far as to remove "Send to GPS/TomTom" from their website, a feature I've been using a lot, and Facebook needs to go away already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.