Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Promising potential careers have been stopped dead in their tracks by innocuous Facebook entries..... :(
That's not really the side of things that the poster to which that reply was to was coming from.

And it's not really Facebook that would be at fault there but the personal decision to share something and/or the potential mob mentality of others--basically the fault of humanity so to say.

Reactions: Sandstorm

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Facebook free since 2012.
Like quitting smoking, it seems unbearable at the start...but once you get past the first couple months, FREEDOM!
Reclaim your time and life again.
Opened mine in 2004. Closed it in 2010. Excellent choice, but people still think I'm really weird for not having an account. Twitter keeps me plenty busy, along with posting on these and other forums from time to time. Although I did just start an Instagram account because I wanted a simple way to post all the photos I've taken over the years that were hidden away in my archives.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Guess what? I don't want to log into F/book for anything. The less the better, so I'd rather use my email as a login, longer but it keeps F/book off my back.

How can you possibly exist happily without sharing every single moment of your private life each day with Uncle Zuck?

I wish Facebook no longer existed.

It's like masturbating, lots of people claim they don't do it, in fact they do.
I think it have become some sort of trend for people (particularly the US ones) to moan or hate Facebook, truth of the matter is, 1.55 billion users currently are on Facebook and I have a strong feeling these are not extraterrestrials.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Like quitting smoking, it seems unbearable at the start...but once you get past the first couple months, FREEDOM!

I couldn't agree more. The initial few months, you're tempted to go back, but then you realize that you do not need to know every single detail about people who you most likely couldn't care less about (sans close friends and family).

Twitter and Instagram more than make up for what I'm potentially "missing" on FB.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
It's like masturbating, lots of people claim they don't do it, in fact they do.
I think it have become some sort of trend for people (particularly the US ones) to moan or hate Facebook, truth of the matter is, 1.55 billion users currently are on Facebook and I have a strong feeling these are not extraterrestrials.
I do have a Facebook account, but I only open it like once a month in some very rare cases somebody isn't on Twitter.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA

Your free from Facebook, although probably still trapped in the Twitter-sphere and posting comments on forums. It's pretty much all the same thing. It's social networking, regardless of what social network your using.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Your free from Facebook, although probably still trapped in the Twitter-sphere and posting comments on forums. It's pretty much all the same thing. It's social networking, regardless of what social network your using.
A pretty big difference between Facebook and Twitter/discussion forums is that the former one is designed for extreme connections with your existing friends, which is proven by how much personal details you are suggested to enter, that you need to use your real name, that the damn thing is so filled with pointless games that are pretty much designed so that you spend more time with those people online, and so on and so on. Twitter on the other hand, you follow who you want, and the amount of stuff they can post is fairly limited, so it's pretty much a website for quick thoughts. Discussion boards like MacRumors for example are there so you can participate in actual conversations online with absolutely anyone, so there's little actual socializing, just discussion.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Meh: any social network is what you make of it. There are people who all they do all day is post/read tweets just like there are people that never leave these forums.

I use all of them... but Facebook is something I check about once or twice a day. Only takes a minute to swipe through and see what's up with my friends and family... press "like" a few times to let them know I'm keeping up with their lives and then go back to doing whatever else I was doing that day.

I don't understand all the rage. It's useful... I don't have to call my parents/sister everyday but I can still stay in touch. And when we do talk we have more meaningful conversations because all of the trivial stuff has already been shared.

But I guess it's "cool" and "counterculture" to hate on useful things most people in this word like ;-)

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
But I guess it's "cool" and "counterculture" to hate on useful things most people in this word like ;-)
I agree mostly with that statement (*cough* Apple haters *cough*), but trust me, I hate it because it's pointless to me and plus their actions create extreme frustration in me.

It's useful if you have a life, but when you're an antisocial sociopath like me, the enforcing of this website into my life is just making me hate it even more.

Reactions: friedmud

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
From what I've seen, they've laid out the alphabet horizontally, in one long row instead of the former grid. With the grid, you could jump up-down, left-right to quickly get to the letter or number you needed. Now, you must screen through the whole row to find it. I assume that's what is now more cumbersome. Definitely seems like form over function, something Apple is increasingly becoming guilty of.

It took me about 4 seconds to master navigating the horizontal alphabet with the touch surface on the remote. I would estimate I can type out a list with the horizontal layout and the touch surface 30-50% faster than I could with a square layout and up/down arrows. A square layout does not work well with a touch pad-- touch pads provide speed at the expense of x,y precision, and navigating a square requires precision. Apple made the right choice in providing a horizontal alphabet, given that they were committed to touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.