Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting today, some Facebook users will be able to view Live Photos in their Facebook feeds using the Facebook for iOS app, reports TechCrunch. Introduced with the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, Live Photos are motion-enabled images that capture the moments just before and after a photo is taken.

Facebook plans to gradually roll out support for Live Photos, so while some Facebook app users will be able to post and view Live Photos as of this morning, others will not have access to Live Photos support until the beginning of 2016.

According to TechCrunch, uploading a Live Photo is done in the same way as uploading a regular photo, but there will be an option to choose whether to upload an image as a Live Photo or a regular photo during the uploading process. In a Facebook feed, Live Photos are denoted by a set of concentric circles and can be pressed to play.

live-photo.jpg
You'll have to tap that box manually with each Live Photo, and with good reason: once enabled on your iPhone, Live Photos are created with little to no thought on your part. It's easy to forget the feature is even on. Add in the fact that Live Photos include 1.5 seconds of video and audio from before/after the instant you hit that shutter button, and it's easy to imagine a scenario where you unwittingly capture something you... maybe don't want to make public. By making it opt-in with each photo, there's less of a chance you'll accidentally upload stuff you forgot was even there.
While only the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus can take live photos, all iOS devices running iOS 9 can view them in the Facebook app. All iPhones from the iPhone 4s on are capable of supporting iOS 9.

Facebook is the second major social network to implement support for Live Photos. Tumblr added support two weeks ago.

Article Link: Facebook for iOS Gaining Support for iPhone 6s Live Photos Starting Today

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you have used it, you would see it's far from a gimmick. It really takes you back to the moment the photo was taken.

As someone who never takes videos, it's perfect! I took pictures with my GF at Disney, and the Live Photos made them that much better.

Last edited:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The feature is a total gimmick and the 3D touch to activate it makes things worse. 90% of the time I try to play one and I gotta press like 12 times to get it to recognize my request. Once that finally happens I can't see the entire thing because my finger was over top of it.

I leave it off, not worth the space.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Now I just wish I could figure out a way/App to capture and post GIFs to Facebook that embed without a bunch of other crap in the post. DSCO is okay but doesn't embed or allow for autoplay.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You can download an app called Lean that will allow you to go back and strip away the video elements from any photo(s) you choose. Annoyance gone.
tried it on vacation in san fran, vegas, la, san diego and nyc and i didnt understand the point of it like taking a picture at time square for example ud just have a taxi skipping a few mili seconds. however not trying to convince anyone to believe otherwise. just my personal opinion

rfahey79

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Would be nice if they could be uploaded as animated gifs for people on other devices :)
Older iOS devices support the viewing of live photos, so I would not be surprised if the app supported it; more like I'd be surprised if it DIDNT as having looked into the API itself it is not difficult to implement support for it.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
The feature is a total gimmick and the 3D touch to activate it makes things worse. 90% of the time I try to play one and I gotta press like 12 times to get it to recognize my request. Once that finally happens I can't see the entire thing because my finger was over top of it.

I leave it off, not worth the space.

Something seems to be wrong with either your hardware, your setting or your finger... :p

Works well on my phone. I love this feature. When I shoot landscapes or other static stuff I turn it off but for shots of my family I find it priceless :)

Only thing I would like to be added is that the live symbol for any live picture taken is displayed in the phone's photo gallery and its albums.

Last edited:

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
tried it on vacation in san fran, vegas, la, san diego and nyc and i didnt understand the point of it like taking a picture at time square for example ud just have a taxi skipping a few mili seconds. however not trying to convince anyone to believe otherwise. just my personal opinion

I think context is very important. To me a place like Times Square or the Vegas Strip are great subjects for Live Photos as you get to capture some of the motion and life in the background; I think the audio adds a lot also. If you're taking a photo of a tree or a building (i.e. static objects) then you probably won't get the best out of Live Photos.

Reactions: Keane16 and BvizioN

Totorotarrot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Hmm still not working for me. I have some photos taken on a pre-production (evt) device and would love to include those memories on my fb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.