Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klongeiger

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Whew

After it became known that WhatsApp uploaded your contacts list, I was glad that I never installed it. Now, it saves me the trouble of removing another Facebook-owned piece of spyware from my phone. I removed Instagram within minutes after the takeover was made public. I just hope Facebook goes down the drain fast, otherwise they will buy a piece of software I actually can't stop using sooner or later.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Serious question: Other than iMessage being iOS only, how are they inferior? I just looked over WhatsApp and thought, yep, everything in there is covered by iMessage... :confused:
Voice texts?

But yeah, I agree there's nothing in there that couldn't be implemented quite easily into any other messaging app. Including FB's own Messenger. Not sure what FB was thinking here.

MartinOrange

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Leaving too

This is really bad news. Sorry to hear that, but what other alternatives would you suggest? Viber? I wouldn't mind using text, but not all over the world they are unlimited in our cariers' plans and forexample the hangouts application on androdi is a mess. WhatsApp was amazing insharing position, piftures and everything so easily...
I'm really dissapointed with this...

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Well give some company credit for going out there and taking a risk and putting forth a large chunk of money to purchase a big company, unlike some other companies *cough cough* (apple). Apple needs to step their game and purchase a big company like Twitter. I can even imagine what Twitter is valued at if whatsapp if 16 billion dollars.

Why would you want Apple to purchase Twitter?

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Deleting whatsapp now - is it possible anymore NOT to use a Facebook service?

Who knows. Even if you actively try and avoid them,
they'll evidently just end up buying alternative services and acquiring your personal data that way.
It's disgusting, really.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Deleting whatsapp now - is it possible anymore NOT to use a Facebook service?

Same.

I value my privacy, I have no trust whatsoever towards Facebook, so Facebook buying WhatsApp means I'm moving. I actually can't believe WhatsApp has done such a thing...I've been recommending it to people for a long time, persuading friends to get it because of the privacy.

If you're like me and value privacy, take a glance at this - https://heml.is

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Why would you want Apple to purchase Twitter?

I want apple to purchase twitter because I see twitter winning the battle of social media and having the longest life span out of all the companies. Maybe its just me idk, I use twitter all the time and thinks its great the level of interaction that you can have out of it with athletes, celebrities, reporters. But any other large company will do, Twitter was the one that came to mind first.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Whatsapp has 450 million users. BBM has like 45 users.

Hate on BBM all you like, but their latest update is pretty slick. Voice chat, share files through Dropbox, freaking Glypmse integration!

I won't argue that it has more active users, but I personally prefer BBM over WhatsApp, more so now. I opened it back up to delete my account and then remove the app and I forgot how dated it looks.

To each his own though.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I don't get why Facebook would buy it when they already have the Facebook chat app.

The price is rather steep. Then again the sooner Facebook hits the wall the better.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Serious question: Other than iMessage being iOS only, how are they inferior? I just looked over WhatsApp and thought, yep, everything in there is covered by iMessage... :confused:

sending pics takes forever on iMessage and i cannot see if someone is/was online to have read the message. some might call it stalking i personally LOVE it

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
The number of $$ is absurd :eek::eek::eek::eek: pure madness.
I have no idea why on earth somebody would even use whats app, viber & company, when you have imessage, normal sms and fb chat-which is also cross platform and makes this aqusition even dumber :confused::confused:

I think numbers speak for themselves. Whatsapp was the first popular multi-platform chat app. This was before iMessage, before facebook message app etc. It's a tidy app, does what it needs nothing more nothing less and no silly ads or distractions. It works on all phones all over the world and overall just a well executed app. It's become part of the iPhone for me any many people I know. The first concern we all have when travelling is to make sure whatsapp is working during sim card swaps.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
April 23rd, 2018

Facebook has announced it's spinning off WhatsApp in an initial pubic offering worth $875 million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.