Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
This should be interesting. If they truly keep it as its own project but better integrated, I could see plenty of advantages at some point (being that half the photos I see posted by people on Facebook come from Instigram anyway....)... On the other hand, I fear they eventually just eat the program or slowly morph it into something that freezes and crashes frequently, not unlike the Facebook app out there . . .

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Okay, whatever. I don't even use Instagram.

But a BILLION dollars? How in the hell can it be worth that much???

You can do pretty much the same thing with Twitter!

Because they don't care.. Just want a hip audience and don't do R&D. Next month people will make Facebook worth over 100 billion dollars when IPO is due. FB only sells 5% shares in May. Crazy times...

slnko-v-sieti

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
I wonder if they will force you to log in using a Facebook account or force a merge of Facebook and legacy user accounts? Regardless, I refuse to prostitute my social circle / data to Facebook and have deleted it. I only used Instagram for filters, not sharing. Although I think the whole "vintage photo filter" thing is a bit silly, they are useful for photos whose colors have been screwed up by the camera sensor or HDR.

Any recommendations for a replacement app?
Pix: Pixel mixer and (personal fave) Pixlr-o-matic.

Last edited:

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
goodness gracious...I guess I SEVERELY underestimated what crappy, generic photo filters can do for a social network. Maybe it's time for me to stop editing my cell phone pics with Photoshop??

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
with_jews_you_lose.jpg

daverso

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
After the facebook IPO, i wouldn't be surprised if headlines like this become more prevalent. Hide your startups, people!! :D

Fargard

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
1 billion... they could have fixed this thing they call "facebook app" (which behaves more like crap) with way less than that :(

zbarsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
Comparable to when Yahoo bought and eventually ruined Flickr, but this time with a double dose of privacy invasion to boot....

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So all i needed to do to make a billion dollars was to develop an app then makes pictures look old and dirty, and set up a couple of servers that host them.

*sigh* eff my life.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
A billion dollars for an app!! wow imagine just paying someone that much to write the app! Obviously paying for the name and all it's current users, I wonder who the guy was that wrote that simple camera app, he must be laughing his head off..Funny I have never used it now it looks like I new will!

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Agreed with you and all the others who have expressed such a sentiment.

Facebook is not something I ever want to deal with in any manner whatsoever.

Agreed.

I never really liked Instagram. I don't understand why people think applying some ghastly filter to their photos turns them into photographers. God forbid anyone actually does a little research into actual photography techniques. Even simple ones such as the rule of thirds is doable on iPhones with the grid on the camera app.

Reminds me of people who buy really expensive professional DSLR cameras to just take some family vacation photos that end up not looking any better than a snapshot using an iPod touch.

Either way, Facebook buying Instagram doesn't affect me as I don't use either service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.