Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghoti

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
considering Facebook can't even properly handle the Facebook app... I expect Instagram to become buggy as hell

bluehurry

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
FB isn't just buying instagram for the app, but for the members and the content as well.

then, the content becomes the property of FB and lives on forever even if you try to delete it.

add to that FB's support of the CISPA (essentially just like SOPA but even more invasive) ...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
considering Facebook can't even properly handle the Facebook app... I expect Instagram to become buggy as hell

Exactly! Could someone explain why Facebook would want an app like Instagram? What purpose would it serve them?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I didn't understand the 1 Billion dollars until I downloaded the app just now. It wants me to login. So it is one of those kinds of apps. Social media spyware.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I deleted my Instagram app last night. No, I didn't have insider knowledge, I had just got around to trying it.

Opened the app and there seemed to be no way to use it without registering. I do not put my details into anything unless I have a good idea that it will be worth it. Wasn't going to register, so deleted it.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I hope Facebook doesn't bombard it with ads and other useless information, aka 99% of what is on Facebook.

Keep it about the pictures please.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
Now is the time to make a new app for all those who don't want to be tied to the likes of Facebook.

WoFat

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
Don't Update & You'll Be Happy

iHeart Radio soiled its' pants for most people when the updated app won't allow favorites unless you do FB. Lots of unhappy folk out there but The Big Wo ain't one of them. Updated. Discovered the no favorites saving, FB log-in crap. Deleted app & reinstalled the prev one. Gots all my stations and one of this Orwellian tether.

SE30rulez!

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
return on investment?

I hope Facebook doesn't bombard it with ads and other useless information, aka 99% of what is on Facebook.

Keep it about the pictures please.

So even assuming a humble 15% ROI (I'm sure the bankers say it will be 20%++), FB somehow has to squeeze $150MM out of instagram. There are 30 million iOS users plus 1mm android users added in the first launch day. Let's call it 50 million users steady state.

Let's say half of those sign up and never touch it again (reasonable - there are around 150 million non-elderly adults living in the U.S. - do you really think 1/3 the US population is glued to instagram on a regular basis??) So call it 25mm "Regular" users of any kind - - probably many of those are infrequent or semi-frequent users.

So that means FB has to wring $6.00 out of every user every year to generate 15% roi. That's net of expenses, marketing costs, advertising, etc.

I don't know the first thing about social media business models' revenue generation performance so I am admittedly uninformed. However I just have to ask: How exactly is that business model going to work?

get ready for the ads, product placement (hey - I just snapped a really cool cross-processed lomo image of A CAN OF PEPSI!), spam, etc.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
Saw the news, deleted my instagram account right away. No great loss, considering it just came out for Android last week.

Just have no general interest in providing facebook any content.

jmnikricket

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Now that they have the rights, maybe they will integrate a de-instagram option for Facebook, where all instagram filters are removed on photos you see posted on Facebook. Now that would be a worthwhile feature :D

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
So even assuming a humble 15% ROI (I'm sure the bankers say it will be 20%++), FB somehow has to squeeze $150MM out of instagram.

And this must happen every single year, with an additional 50-100% yearly growth to keep up with Facebook itself.
Which means they must surely expect to make over $1B with Instagram in 2020. :p

Oh dear. FB is run by monkees. Good luck for all the future stockholders.

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
not really...

No they won't. They just got a billion dollars.

$1 Billion in CASH & STOCK, so this is just a stock play, which reminds me, I thought FB was still in the "quiet period" before an IPO?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Big deal. Instagram is pointless anyways. "Here, have a look at this photo of my desk that I've filtered to make it look vintage!" Dumb.

That dumb idea just made several millionaires. To them, I say welcome to the club. To you I say, get out of the peanut gallery and make something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.