Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Why don't they just add the option to send a photo for a time limited time to Facebook chat? Then, game over, surely? I mean ffs why do you need a separate app for this, all it is is sending a photo that deletes itself, what is the fuss??

The problem is that nobody would be very interested in that, because nobody thinks Facebook won't keep the photo and stick it on your news feed someday.

Which... is exactly what will happen with this app too.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Just wanted to echo the already-said sentiment that the point of Snapchat is anonimity - we at least hope anything shared has truly has disappeared. But to trust a data-mining company to do this?

To trust Facebook, it is laughable. They have no reputation or reason to be trusted. It would be like Snapchat by google and being surprised to hear they collected statistics and the like for advertising. There would be no shocker there.

Facebook is in the same business. Why else would they be doing this? Charity?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The problem is that nobody would be very interested in that, because nobody thinks Facebook won't keep the photo and stick it on your news feed someday.

I know its quite funny to say that, but if they say its a snapchat like app it obviously behaves like one. Poke to be honest was a better app than Snapchat was.

Also if people think Snapchat is safe they're daft, I trust Facebook to be less hackable, its very easy to make a middle party for Snapchat and save everyones images, heck you can even download an app on the app store which lets you save peoples incoming messages without them knowing!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Because Facebook's Poke was so successful that it was dead within a couple weeks of release after Zuck told Snapchat they'd be out of business in a week. :rolleyes:

----------

Snapchat just admitted that your photos aren't deleted after the federal government went after them.

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...c-charges-promises-disappearing-messages-were

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Give up already Facebook. By the time you'll have released this junk, the Snapchat craze will probably be over.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Facebook doesn't know this, but Snapchat is already dead.

These messaging apps come and go, and Snapchat is already gone.

Do people use Snapchat anymore?

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I have no idea what Snapchat is and I'm trying to see how long I can go before I find out. I realise this post might end that run.

In the same boat here. Though just guessing, it seems like yet another "HURRY! Instantly post your junk on the net where it will be stored 'temporarily' before your better judgment catches up to you" app.

Stores realized they could increase revenue by provoking impulsive shopping. This is no different.

The instant gratification attention whoredom generation keeps swinging further and further away from sane. I just hope when the pendulum swings back, our kids don't all become Luddites.

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
I'm telling you what! my space was pretty awesome back in the day! something like that today with its own isp service would be amazing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.