Facebook for Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jfreak623, Apr 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Anybody heard if they were planning on developing anything for the ipad?

2. macrumors member

MikeCase

I've wondered why use a Facebook app when you can just go to the actual website?

3. macrumors member

Not sure why you wouldn't just use the browser, but I'm sure someone will do something. Isn't there an iPhone app?

4. macrumors member

In most cases, I prefer the app to the website. It's a much nicer experience.

5. macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I think the app is really sub-par.

6. macrumors regular

I think you'll change your mind after using the iPad's browser. Just like the iPhone, you can make icons for websites so that you can quickly access facebook just like you would if it were a separate iPad app. If that doesn't work for you, then you can always use your iPhone app, double pixeled.

7. macrumors regular

Neeliosis

I want that "Via Facebook for iPad" to show up on the bottom, so people know I have an iPad. :D

8. macrumors 6502a

I am sure facebook will come out with an iPad specific app.

9. macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I prefer the app to the website on the iPhone, but I think that may be a different story on the iPad. The app is SUPER buggy (as well as the normal website, on a computer) as is, and not to mention that their main app developer quit like 6 months ago. I wish they would develop an app though, but I think I'll be sticking to the website at first.

10. macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Yeah the bigger screen may make many of these for iPhone apps unnecessary

I do like the simple interface of the facebook app though

11. macrumors 6502

Yeah, as others have already said. I think one of the biggest things is it having a bigger screen size, turning EVERY website into an app is kind of pointless.

12. macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I think they're gonna relase it: while navigation experience on facebook.com is a pleasure, it isn't very touch-friendly. A native app can also use push notifications (like facebook for iPhone does)!

13. macrumors 6502a

Squid7085

I think we will see Facebook tweek the site to be more iPad friendly before we see an App. Really, that is what makes more sense.

14. macrumors regular

The way I see it:

Site = more features + less native OS support
    App = less features + more native OS support (ie push notifications)

On iPhone I personally prefer the app because it has most of the things I want plus its easier to use on the screen size etc, plus mobile facebook offers nothing over the app - desktop version loads but not too great and I only do it if I need to get to a part of the site I cant on the app. I would however expect the desktop site to load better on the ipad as they have included it in promo videos and screenshots. If the desktop site loads that will be fine for me and one could use the email notifications as a substitute for the lack of push, if a reworked app is made however that uses the screen space really well I could see my self using that over the site again.

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors member

facebook ipad app will enable me to upload pictures from ipad.

17. macrumors 6502

It would be nice if apple updates safari to let you upload pics from the gallery to any site that can browse and upload photos like Facebook, forums, imageshack etc.

18. macrumors newbie

Honestly how hard could it be for Facebook to develop this app? I'm encouraged and dismayed that we don't have it yet. They have some of the best programmers in the entire world working for them and they haven't made it yet. I would think its one of two things. 1) They are not going to make an iPad app until they truly see a LARGE purchasing swell of the device. 2) They are making one, they're just trying to make it bad ass.

...heres to hoping for 2)

19. macrumors member

Plus the web based Facebook doesn't have chat either. The app would have it plus ability to upload pics.

20. macrumors regular

zenntench_oni

lol i would say the same. lol

21. macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Is it possible to upload photos to facebook via the facebook web app on the iPad?

22. macrumors member

Answer is No.

There is no chance you can upload or download via Safari.

Some of you may like http://touch.facebook.com

23. macrumors 65816

Scott6666

FB is a plague. Sucks up all my kids time "socializing" with 700 friends. Who the h*ll has 700 real friends? No one. Who has 4 hours a day to read crap wall updates when they should be reading MR?

I'm sure they will update their app and I won't care.

Of course, you 400MM (probably 80MM really active) dissenters will love it.

24. macrumors 6502

alright dont take my word for this, because when I spoke to facebook about iPhone apps this was a year ago. Last I spoke to facebook, they had one guy, thats right....one guy working on their iPhone dev. I was applying for an internship and expressed my interest in the iPhone dev and they told me it was one dude. Now i've also heard facebook is considering outsourcing its iDevice dev, but until that becomes the case I would say its going to be a while before you see a full-fledged app.

Honestly, kudos to the one guy for getting the iPhone app where it is today, because thats an accomplishment on its own.

25. macrumors 68030

CD3660

Made me laugh! :D