Facebook Home Reviews: For Facebook Fans Only, Addictive, Too Simple

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The first reviews for Facebook Home, the social network's new Android home screen experience, are out. Home isn't quite a "Facebook Phone", but it also isn't a full-fledged operating system. It slots right in between the two segments.

[​IMG]
    Dieter Bohn of The Verge details the two main components of Home:
    Bohn mentions that the Chat Head feature, which overlays Facebook Messenger chats over any app a user may use, was a highlight.
    Walt Mossberg of AllThingsDigital thought that the two-pronged set-up was simple to use.
    Although The Verge says that Home's simplicity also hurts it as it lacks key Android features like Widgets and Folders. They also mention that although Home has its own version of notifications, most apps do not support it and default to Android's notification pane. Both Bohn and Mossberg conclude that although Home is simple-to-use and addictive, only Facebook fans should take notice as it lacks key features for most smartphone users.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg previously said that bringing Home to iOS would not be as easy as it was on Android because Android is "open" and Facebook would have to go through Apple and its existing relationship with the company while they don't have to go through Google for Home.

Facebook Home will be available to download for select Android devices (Samsung Galaxy SIII, HTC One X, HTC One X+ and Samsung Galaxy Note II) on April 12th for free. HTC and AT&T will also be offering the HTC First, a $100 smartphone that will have Home preloaded.

Article Link: Facebook Home Reviews: For Facebook Fans Only, Addictive, Too Simple

2. macrumors 6502a

Something about that Zuckerberg icon always makes me burst out laughing.

3. macrumors 68030

SDAVE

Hate that guy.

4. Editor emeritus

longofest

Kind of reminds you of "Tom"...

Seriously though. I think I like some of the concepts that Facebook is introducing here. A people/interaction centric device vs. an app centric device has merit. Seems like the 1.0 version is lacking, but if they can build on it, they could have something.

5. macrumors 68020

Same, but my hatred stems from envy, as we have the same first name, and he's 10 days younger than me. My wife teases me "I married the wrong Mark"

6. macrumors regular

Wait, how did Dieter Bohn get it running on an iPhone? Is it on Cydia?

7. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Epic failure. I'm totally content with my FB app and would never buy a phone geared around it.

8. macrumors 68020

b166er

well his head is floating in a rather close proximity to a crotch.

9. macrumors 6502

Next..... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors newbie

Frank Gore

Not sure what kind of phone that is but it reminds me a lot of the 1st generation iPod Touch

11. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

Seriously, kids don't use facebook anymore.

It's either twitter, instagram or snapchat... not facebook.

12. macrumors 68020

b166er

This really isn't too far off from what WP8 is at its core. You can see twitter and facebook feeds from specific groups that you choose without ever opening apps. That's what WP8 is really all about.

----------

This isn't a phone, it's a launcher. Able to be used on several phones.

13. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I'm surprised the reviews are so positive.

I feel like this will be a fad kind of thing... it'll be neat for a while, just like Facebook Chat was, but then people will go back to other things and only occasionally appreciate it.

14. macrumors 6502

Be more wrong.

15. macrumors 6502a

good, keep it. there's an app for that. and jailbreak widgets. jeebus.

16. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

If Jobs were alive, he would positively have Zuckerb's head on a pike greeting visitors at 1 Infinite Loop.

17. macrumors regular

I disagree with everything you've said. :(

My 15 year old niece is on it 24/7
    My friends who are from 20s to 40s are on it 24/7

I still wouldn't recommend Facebook Home to anyone as it's a waste of time and productivity (data mining security/privacy issues aside)

18. macrumors 65816

skellener

Yup. Or even something else - but not FB - that's for old folks now. FogieBook ;)

Very happy this won't be coming to iOS. I don't want any single app to take over - especially FB. I don't even have the preference login set up on my iPhone. Just the regular app.

That being said, I do think that going for a more people centric experience over simply an app centric one could be very compelling. That's the part of it that is in fact interesting. We'll see with the next rev of iOS or even the one after what Apple plans to do. iOS app grid is geting a bit stale five years on now.

19. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Nice choice in the use of the word head.

20. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

What's a FB?

All jokes aside, this looks pretty neat (for the addictive user) and I would definitely give it a try if I had a FB. :)

----------

What has he done to you that caused you to hate him?:confused:

21. macrumors 6502a

I like the concept but I feel it will work better for something like twitter. A constantly updating twitter home screen is far more useful than a Facebook feed. I don't know about other users, but my feed doesn't have much change within a few hours. Not enough for me to miss out on something.

22. macrumors member

No interest in FB but...

this is a seriously smart move by the Facebook team and it looks very slick on those Android devices. Forget about bringing out a dedicated phone. Just provide a new launcher to 'own' so many existing devices. Great strategy.

I've no interest in ever using Facebook, but credit where credit is due.

23. macrumors 68030

SDAVE

You know, very well...

24. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It actually makes me sad that anyone could be so addicted to Facebook as to want this.

25. macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

Same here. I'm not exactly sure why we need a Facebook device/phone. I'm just content with the actual app.