Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/25/facebooks-hidden-ipad-app/

a2.png

sidebar-with-settings.png

Tons of pics:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/25/facebook-ipad-app-pictures/

Snippet:

Hidden in the code of Facebook’s iPhone app is the code for something else. Something everyone has been waiting over a year for. The iPad app.

Yes, it’s real, and it’s spectacular (well, very good, at the very least). And yes, it really is right there within the code. Even better, it’s executable. (Update: a lot of pictures here.)

For the past couple hours, I’ve been using Facebook’s iPad app. Well, I should qualify this. I can’t be sure if this is the version they’ll actually ship, but based on everything I’ve seen, I’m going to assume it’s at least very close to the version they’re going to ship. While much of it is written with HTML5 (as you might expect from Facebook), the native iPad work is very good too.

In particular, the navigation system is great. Unlike the iPhone app — which even its creator is complaining about now as being stale — the Facebook iPad app uses a left-side menu system that can be accessed by the touch of a button or the flick of the iPad screen. The app also makes great use of the pop-overs (overlay menus) found in other iPad apps. When you flip the iPad horizontally, the list of your online friends appears and you can chat with them as you do other things on Facebook. The photo-viewer aspect looks great — similar to the iPad’s own native Photos app. Places exists with a nice big map to show you all your friends around you. Etc.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just enabled it on my iPad 1 and it's working nicely. Already had one notification come in and take me right into the app with no problems. Everything's working good so far. I'll be able to test it out better as the day gets started and more of my fiends are on it.

The new update seemed to fix the problems for me on my iPhone too. I think the Facebook has finally got it, or at least something we can consider usable.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
just enabled it on my iPad 2, works great and a lot better than the other iPad facebook apps. a lot smoother too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.