Facebook Launches 'Places' Location Check-Ins

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Facebook yesterday announced the launch of its new Places geolocation feature that allows users to "check-in" and tell others where they are at any given time.
    Facebook's iPhone application has been updated to support the new Places feature, while users on other devices supporting geolocation and HTML5 can utilize Facebook's touch-optimized mobile site. Places availability is currently limited to the United States, but support for additional countries and mobile platforms is planned for the near future.

Article Link: Facebook Launches 'Places' Location Check-Ins
  2. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Great, more ways of telling the world where you are.

In case you didn't notice, I meant everything in SARCASM
  3. macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2009
    There will be a way to turn it off(better be), it's not working yet either.
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2004
    As long as you don't have to tell the world where you are. I have been seriously thinking about deleting my facebook acct.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 27, 2009
  6. macrumors 68020

Jun 4, 2009
    I give it a week until some little teenybopper gets stalked or kidnapped.
  7. macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2008
    not available in my region yet.

my 'region' is NYC.

I dont throw this term around much, but i'd say this is a launch *fail*
  8. Guest

Break in my house!

This new location feature is screaming "Im not at home, please break into my house!"
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    After numerous accusations from all over the world of Facebook violating private privacy rights they now do this...
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2007
    I agree; It's way too easy for people with bad intentions to know the best times to break into your home.
  11. macrumors 68000

Apr 29, 2005
    How is this any differernt than posting a pic of you at a bar or a pic of something while on vacation from your iPhone (or other phone). Even without this Places feature its easy to figure out who isnt at home.
  12. macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2009

I dont know what kind of CRAZY KILLER friends you all have on facebook. I only have relatives and close friends I see and talk to on a normal occasion.
    and only share the info you want with the people you want.. its not that hard really.

I say Genius!

so if i leave my phone somewhere.. can I get online and see where I am??
  13. Guest

Yep, I really thing that Facebook is going to go down with all this crap they are doing.

Microsoft's rep = crashing and copying Mac
    Facebook's rep = lack of privacy and opt out NOT opt in
  14. macrumors member

Jul 12, 2008
    You are only sharing your location information with people in your facebook friends list, so if you have people on your friends list that want to break into your house than you have more serious issues to deal with than the new "Places" feature. ;) I would start deleting all those criminals from your friends list right away! :p
  15. Guest

YEP! - But how many people say "do you have a Facebook" when you first meet them and add them later in the day? Also, haven't you heard about the privacy issues, you surely must not live under a rock!
  16. macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2008
    Why is everyone ragging on Facebook for this?

It's not as if they invented it.

Foursquare, Loopt and Gowalla have had these types of apps for many many months.
  17. macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2009
    I dont add them.. I swear to you im not a grinch.. I just ignore it. unless I know people well.. I dont add them. Some of my co-workers I dont even add.

If you trust someone enough to see all the things you do on facebook.. you should be able to trust they are not going to KILL or ROB you..

Why do people add others they dont really know?? are we having a contest to see who has the most friends?

Am I alone when only adding people I KNOW I will hang out with or talk to on a normal basis??
  18. macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2006
    Goodbye FourSquare...it has been nice knowing you.
  19. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005

It crawls twitter for tweets saying "heading out" etc. I think they stopped the service though after several people emailed them.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2007
    I saw a story on the news recently where someone accepted a friendship request from someone they went to high school with and were friends with in high school. I guess they didn't know this person as well as they thought. They were actually being watched and monitored for the best times to break into their home. I know this an unusual circumstance but it definitely proves that you can't be too careful.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2007
    I will continue using foursquare. I like they way it updates both facebook and twitter at the same time.
  22. macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2009
    like I said...if you didnt read.. PEOPLE YOU KNOW AND SEE ON A NORMAL BASIS...not some friend from school 10 years ago..

Please you guys know who your REAL friends are...

for people like ME.. this feature is genius for finding my CLOSE friends and family.
  23. macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2004
    While I am never going to use Places - or anything else like it - I think all these worries may be a little misplaced.

People can sit outside your home and watch to see if you are home. People can look at your lights or your windows or even send someone to knock on your door - and find out if you are home.

People were getting robbed long before Facebook.

And also - status updates like "Having fun on vacation in Hong Kong - two weeks seems too short" make it painfully obvious that you are not at home....

And even though you can set this stuff only visible to friends - and even set up groups within your friends like "trusted" and "not trusted" or "work" and "personal" and you can adjust visibility that way at a granular level - even though you can do all that: There are ways that the rest of the world can "mine" all of your posts and data.

Just assume that anything you put on facebook is visible to the entire world and will be so for the rest of time...

But I won't use Places. People I want to know where I am - I tell them.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Why are you adding people that you only met hours earlier if you are concerned about privacy issues? I really don't think this new feature is anything to get too alarmed about. It's like any other information people already post on Facebook—just think before you post.

That said, I have no intention of using this new feature. But I don't think I'm a typical Facebook user. I only log in about once a week, and rarely post anything.
  25. macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2002
    oh, great. Just the thing aliens will use to find out where I am and abduct me again. Yeah, sure I had to opt in, but do you know how hard it is to say no to location features?! I mean seriously, don't they realize all the bad ways people, er 'others', can use technology like this.

If they get me again I'm