Facebook Messenger App Updated With Voice Messages, Testing VoIP Calling in Canada

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Facebook will update its Facebook Messenger app later today, adding two significant new voice-related abilities, reports The Next Web. The first will allow Facebook users to record a voice message to send to friends in addition to the standard text and photo messages.

The second is potentially more significant -- though is currently in limited beta testing for Canadian iOS users only. Facebook users will now have the option to make a VoIP phone call from one user to another.

[​IMG]
    Facebook's efforts create a calling system that can potentially reach its more than 1 billion users, providing a massive competition to other VoIP services like Skype.

Facebook Messenger for the iPhone is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

A previous version of this article said it was the Facebook iOS app that was updated. It is the standalone Facebook Messenger app that gained the new voice features.

Article Link: Facebook Messenger App Updated With Voice Messages, Testing VoIP Calling in Canada

2. macrumors 6502a

OMG, Facebook Phone is coming! FB Stock is going to go through the roof.

3. macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Sounds like a cool addition (and the opportunity for Facebook to monitor even more of our lives, not sure if I like that :) ). I'm not in Canada but I probably wouldn't use it much (just like I don't use Facetime even though it's free).

But I never really understood why they have so many different apps, Facebook itself, messenger, photos and pages. You can do everything inside the main app as well and it's much handier because you don't have to switch all the time.

4. macrumors 65816

Why only Canada? Seems to be Facebook is copying bbm voice.

5. macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Over the cell network or wifi only I wonder...?

6. macrumors member

And how much Data does it take per second on a conversation I wonder?

----------

Yay for Canada! Beta testers unite!

7. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Nice way to boost your data bill for sure.

8. macrumors 68030

baryon

Will this be compatible with desktop Facebook? They're not going to reach 1 billion users if they only provide their feature for mobile users.

9. macrumors 6502a

Wow, I can't even imagine how much processing power and bandwidth that would be required at the Facebook data centers to handle a billion voice calls, if this would roll out worldwide some day.

----------

It's possible it's intentional to reduce coverage while they're trialling the service and infrastructure. A scaling / stress test perhaps?

10. macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Well it's use the 6GB data bucket or get dinged for inter-country long-distance by the Telco. Even calling within my home province of British Columbia, we get charged long distance...

11. HMI
    macrumors 6502a

HMI

Canada = North America - (Mexico + (AT&T + Verizon + Sprint + T-MobileUSA))

12. macrumors 6502a

So I can use my phone as a phone? Hmm... this changes everything.

13. macrumors 6502

Great. Facebook will now know how my voice sounds like. They will be able to sell this piece of information somehow.

14. Editor emeritus

longofest

Exactly. So, Facebook makes its money off of owning your data, knowing your habits, and then selling all of that information to advertisers and data collection firms it partners with.

They've already proven they can't be trusted with users' information - why would users want to have FB now tap their phone conversations?

15. macrumors newbie

Get a better plan dude. Everyone is offering nationwide calling (big thanks to Wind and Mobilicity for that one).

I get unlimited social networking (not uncommon from the big 3). I wonder how long before they pull the plug on that thanks to this voice calling.

16. macrumors 6502

And oh, fix the "WIth".

17. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Makes sense. Our kids will hear that we used to just TYPE stuff in Facebook and look at us like we came from the old west or something.

18. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Gives me the idea to send messages to friends in Morse Code.

19. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Fair enough. One day we'll be on data only contracts I guess.

20. macrumors regular

You will have to face ads popping up when surfing the web, speaking to you with your own voice. :eek:

21. macrumors 6502

So is this an update to the Facebook app or just the messenger app? Already got an update for messenger, but nothing for the Facebook app yet.

22. macrumors member

Because over half our population is on Facebook ;)

23. macrumors 6502a

for once canadians get dibs on something first LOL

24. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm sure, like any ad placement agency out there, Facebook doesn't sell your information to advertisers at all. That's just daft, that information is a gold egg laying goose. You don't sell it, you get it to lay eggs.

What Facebook (and Google and Apple and every other ad placement service) does is collect information through analytics and then sell ad placement based on that information rather than selling the information directly. Doing business that way is much more sustainable.

25. macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Unfortunately those nationwide plans bundle data. Only 2GB, I'm not giving up my 6GB ;)