Facebook Unveils Video on Instagram, Offering 15 Second Clips with Filters and Stabilization

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook today hosted a press event at its Menlo Park campus to unveil new video capturing capabilities for image sharing product Instagram, which Facebook acquired back in April of last year.

As expected, Instagram will now support short video uploads, positioning it as a serious competitor for Twitter's Vine, which allows users to capture six seconds of video footage.

To use the new video capabilities, users will tap on the capture button, which adds a new video icon to activate video mode. Holding down on the video icon will allow users to take up to 15 seconds of footage, more than double the time that Vine permits.

[​IMG]
    As with Vine, Instagram users can capture collages of video, taking a few seconds of footage at a time before moving on to a different angle or shot. Instagram also includes simple editing tools, allowing users to remove unwanted clips.

In addition to intuitive editing tools, Video for Instagram includes 13 new custom filters that have been specially designed for video plus "Cinema," which is cinematic stabilization for videos that will "change video forever." In an on-stage demonstration, Cinema provided sample videos with a noted improvement in stability, heavily cutting down on motion blur.

Unlike Vine videos, Instagram videos play just once right inside the Instagram feed and do not loop. Videos will have a cover photo and will be displayed alongside photos.

While on stage, Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom also revealed some usage statistics. Instagram now has 130 million active members that use Instagram every month, and those users have shared more than 16 billion photos. The service also receives more than a billion likes per day.

The newly updated Instagram 4.0 with video is available now on the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Unveils Video on Instagram, Offering 15 Second Clips with Filters and Stabilization

2. macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Wow, so, they just made a vine clone inside instagram that doesn't loop. So, how does this add anything beneficial to their service?

3. macrumors 6502

Revolutionarilyextraordinary. Bravo!

4. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

5. macrumors 6502a

Well, Vine is going to die now.

6. macrumors 604

bushido

u need a presentation for that?

7. macrumors 6502a

dragje

Video for Facebook....:rolleyes:

Great now besides cat pictures we'll be overrun by video's of cats. :apple:

8. macrumors 603

Rocketman

So 15 seconds not 7 like Vimeo or whatever Twitter allows. Big amazing improvement!

9. macrumors 603

kas23

So this is the "product" that FaceBook was to unveil today? The one that a small, select group with FB was working on? Sad.

10. macrumors 6502

No.

11. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

the fact it doesn't loop like vine is very welcome, IMO. at most, there should be a loop button and a symbol where the author designed the instagram with looping in mind so the user can activate looping before starting the video.

12. macrumors 6502

I use Instagram for photos, not for videos.. Hopefully there'll be ways to show only photos e.g. When searching.

13. macrumors regular

guitarman777

... so... this is considered news?

14. macrumors newbie

I like the feature that you can delete a segment of video and redo that segment and not lose the whole video. Other than that, uneventful.

15. Corrode, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Corrode

When Facebook bought Instagram, I was confused as to why people were freaking out and immediately deleting it from their phones.

I think I now understand...

16. macrumors 603

you must have missed the internet of the 90's
    mass emailing a dancing baby animation

17. macrumors G4

daneoni

R.I.P. Vine

18. Guest

More of that FB crap? No, thanks.

19. macrumors 68000

NightFox

Didn't there used to be another app called Instagram? It was a nice, simple app that let you add retro effects to your photos. I wonder whatever happened to it :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 6502

Poke didn't seem to affect Snapchat's popularity.

21. macrumors 6502a

I don't? Explain, please?

22. macrumors 65816

xmichaelp

Who cares?

23. macrumors 6502

One of the primary motives behind the internet was to transmit felines at high speeds. ;)

24. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Still can't use an existing video. Useless.

If I see something awesome happening, I want to take a video with the normal camera app, so it will be saved at full resolution, and so I have as much recording time as I need.

Why don't Vine and Instagram then let you select the best 15 seconds out of the longer video you took?

Fail.

25. macrumors 68020

Xavier

Facebook is going to bloat the app.

Just wait until every 3rd or 4th picture in your Instagram feed is an ad.