Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Facebook just rolled out an update this morning, and if I may say so myself, it is some amazingly slick stuff in there. I'm not big on social networking sites (facebook is the only one i have) but Facebook now officially kicks the pants off MySpace. I'd describe the features but it would be better if you just checked it out for yourself.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I hate it. First of all... why?

I woke up this morning and saw at least two break-ups and that's not cool at all. Primarily because one of best friend's breakup is now publicly announced. There should be an option to opt out. :-(

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i think it's strange. you could never leave your room and still know everything about your friends. (assuming you have any friends since you are a recluse who sits in his room all day.) it'll take some getting used to.

7on said:
I woke up this morning and saw at least two break-ups and that's not cool at all.

2 break-ups in one night! there must be something in the water.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
pianoman said:
i think it's strange. you could never leave your room and still know everything about your friends. (assuming you have any friends since you are a recluse who sits in his room all day.) it'll take some getting used to.

2 break-ups in one night! there must be something in the water.

I'd be bottling it and saving it for when I want to steal someone away form someone else.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
Ugh, I don't like it at all. I feel like my activities are 100x easier to monitor right now. I'm thinking of canceling my account, because I find all of this really creepy.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a couple "friends" (*ahem* exes) in my friendlist (they added me) of which I could really care less about, but I am now forced to read their activities on the facebook mainpage... great. This is what trying to be civil gets you... severe discomfort.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
This sucks.

Facebook was so elegant before. Now it looks like its trying to compete with MySpace too much.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
dpaanlka said:
This is so horrible it deserved another post.

I'm with you.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I wish they would revert facebook back to its old great self... this is like finding out an old friend has become a drug dealer that stabs passerbys with needles... just want to get away.

Ok, perhaps that example was a tad extreme, but facebook! Sigh.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i agree.. this new rss thing they got tells all your friends your crap.. who you added, at what time, who got comments at what time... who you REMOVED as a friend at what time.... no me gusta.. no me gusta....:(

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I agree that facebook's new update is a bad thing.

(1) See relationship updates? This might be a good thing if you see two people get together, but now there will be public announcements of breakups. And some people really don't care about who's with who.

(2) Wall post? This is just stupid, because neither do people care about what I'm posting on other walls, but I don't want anyone to be able to stalk exactly who I'm giving posts to.

(3) Adding friends? This is not so bad, but does anyone care? It just wastes a bunch of space anyways.

(4) Joining new group, adding new TV shows, etc? Who cares?

The only things I really care about reading are new photo posts, new notes, and maybe status messages. The new version just makes things cluttered with information only a stalker would want. And there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it apart from manually deleting mini-feed entries.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
AHH. Why do I need to know any of the info posted?! I immediately joined the "Facebook Feeds Are Lame" (UCLA Chapter) upon logging in -- which by the way, the feed told me was created by a friend of mine and had 4 people that I don't know also join at the same time..

And I don't care when Jesse broke up with Cara or that Melissa removed "Rachel Ray" as her favorite show!!!

Facebook, you are so silly yet so addicting.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
dpaanlka said:
I think the worst feature is telling people who you've REMOVED as friends.

I usually did that in secret.

Yeah its like your at school the next day, "so dude, why didja' remove that hot chick..?"

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
i like how simple it is
i don't like how it occupies the whole window
but i do like the things u can choose w/ it
what u want to see, what is public...etc

we'll see how it develops over the next few weeks though...

w/ school starting & all

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
oh, i didn't think about the break up thing. but that's because i don't post that kind of stuff on facebook anyway. i've already found out two couples are getting married just from facebook, and this was before the special feed feature, so i aggree it's kinda lame to find out about stuff like that via facebook. but if you willingly put that stuff up there for people to see, and now this feed feature makes it easier to see, couldn't you just remove it anyway? it's just funny to hear "OMG now people can see everything I do!" err, just don't put everything you do up there.

i still think it's neat, but maybe they'll put in some kind of privacy feature for you guys. still, if you want it private, don't put it on the internet.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I think it's really weird that it's hard to tell the difference between life and ilife (in the general sense..not the application suite).

Computers were once tools (ones people actually detested using). I remember people complaining that they had to type up reports in middle school. Now, who would prefer writing by hand?

And now, it's like some of my friends are practically to the point of reporting their bowel movements online. And it's a "thing" now if I say how's school or something and they're telling me something and I'm like what?, and they're like didn't you see it on my blog. And it's like, I honestly don't feel like reading blogs. But I mean you can't really tell someone that. It's confusing for someone my age....what is real anymore? It's all just information and thoughts.......sooo...TOP....heavy......

tabaczka

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
swingerofbirch said:
I think it's really weird that it's hard to tell the difference between life and ilife (in the general sense..not the application suite).

Computers were once tools (ones people actually detested using). I remember people complaining that they had to type up reports in middle school. Now, who would prefer writing by hand?

And now, it's like some of my friends are practically to the point of reporting their bowel movements online. And it's a "thing" now if I say how's school or something and they're telling me something and I'm like what?, and they're like didn't you see it on my blog. And it's like, I honestly don't feel like reading blogs. But I mean you can't really tell someone that. It's confusing for someone my age....what is real anymore? It's all just information and thoughts.......sooo...TOP....heavy......

Thats funny you say that.. I am sixteen and a junior in highschool, and its truly humorous to see the effects Myspace and Facebook have in everyday life. Its a whole huge source of conflict, espically with the girls. Its amazing how you can find out nearly all the latest gossip just by crusing around a networking site for awhile.

My favorite line related to this is when you seem to be out of the loop on something and someones response to this will be, "Where have you been, its all over Facebook!" :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
some of the features are nice.
some of them are blah.

showing what part of a profile that was updated. sweet.
showing pictures added. sweet.
showing status change. sweet.

just about all the rest is crap. glad i rarely use facebook as it is.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Facebook must have received a lot of angry emails, because it didn't take long for them to add the "hide this 'story' from everyone" feature. :)

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
Oryan said:
Facebook must have received a lot of angry emails, because it didn't take long for them to add the "hide this 'story' from everyone" feature. :)

It's definitely a step in the right direction, but I wish I could exclude myself from anyone's feeds... I might just give up my account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.