Facebook Updates Messaging App with 15-Second Videos, 'Big Likes'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Facebook has updated its popular Facebook Messenger app with 15-second videos and "big likes", adding more ways for users to interact with their friends.
    Easy video sharing has been a popular new feature for messaging apps, with Snapchat getting updated with live video in May and Facebook-owned WhatsApp planning to add video calling. At WWDC, Apple announced that its Messages app would be receiving in-line video messages in iOS 8. However, Facebook Messenger's Instant Video feature is more similar to Apple's implementation of video rather than Snapchat or WhatsApp.

Facebook Messenger is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Updates Messaging App with 15-Second Videos, 'Big Likes'

2. macrumors 6502a

really, big likes? lol

3. macrumors regular

henzpwnapple

They misunderst00d, i think people want the "dislike" button. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 6502a

I know right

5. macrumors member

jtrauscht

Big YIKES!

6. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Nah, it's all the rage now. MacRumors got rid of that archaic thing years ago.

7. macrumors 65816

djtech42

Big Likes: If Facebook hasn't already jumped the shark, they definitely jumped the shark here!

8. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

really I still just hate that the FB messenger is a separate app.

9. macrumors newbie

electorate

Optional Facebook Messenger integration with standard Messages app on iOS 8 and Yosemite, please! I use both equally, would love it if the two went together.. Maybe iOS 9. ;)

10. macrumors regular

Big thumbs down...I strongly dislike Facebook.

11. macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Am I the only one annoyed that they are forcing us to have a separate messenger app?

12. macrumors regular

Didn't try facebook on iOS for a while, but on blackberry and Android, you can chat directly from the FB app. You just have more options with messenger.

Also, "Big Likes" wtf.

13. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Is this supposed to replace "OMFG THAT'S AWESUM!!!!!!!!1111!111!!" among the bubblegum-for-brains set? :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 6502a

Facebook=Reddit without downvotes. Too many stupid people out there to not have downvotes, but you also don't want to give stupid people the power of the downvote, so :/

15. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

How are they forcing it on you? The iOS Facebook app still has a section for messaging... I've been using that for years because I don't see the point of having a seperate app for Facebook messaging.

16. macrumors member

The FB app on iOS tells you to download the messaging app. You can no longer reply directly on the FB app.

17. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    The Facebook app is no longer on my iPhone or iPad. I am no longer a fan. I keep the account open just in case and check in maybe once a month and am quickly reminded why it is mind numbingly worthless to me.

I really think that the world has become too PC where you can only give thumbs up and thumbs down are not allowed. I understand the old proverb, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything," but if the comment is not nice to begin with, why can't I say so with a down vote?

MacRumors should get some "cojones" and put the down vote back on. It will allow for a better clarity of which comments make sense and which are not appreciated. Hopefully that would help people rethink what they say before posting

18. macrumors member

Yes you can.

19. macrumors member

Facebook Likes: The Next Big Thing Is Here

20. macrumors member

*big like*

Totally agree!

21. macrumors P6

Not if the Facebook app is telling you to download the Messenger app to do it.

----------

Who even cares about likes or dislikes. People post their stuff and that's that--it doesn't matter if anyone actually likes it or not, it's what they want to post and that's that. If anything they should do away with any of that completely, like they had before, as it really is useless and just a pure creation to feed something rather than to address some need or be useful in any way.

22. macrumors member

"15-second videos"

Yep, this will get Anthony Weiner and such folks in trouble.

23. macrumors member

I think Facebook is becoming desperate. I have Facebook but it's not the same as it was before. Activity has died down and most young people like myself have moved to using Snapchat and Instagram.

24. macrumors P6

Plenty of people are there still, more and more every day, and more than before. Some people might see the activity of their close circles or even more distant circles die down, while many others see it all become more and more active.

25. macrumors member

Since its easier to connect with others so easily now, I can understand why it can become more active and introducing new users. But using Facebook can be easily ignored since you got texting, snapchatting, instagramming, twittering.

Ever since I got Facebook telling if I still want to look at this particular item on eBay, I started hating it. Stalking me on the stuff I search for on eBay is not cool.