Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Was reading an article yesterday where a Russian intelligence officer stated that Social Media is a "dream come true" for gathering information on people, what they like, current photos, who they associate with, and more. He stated that FaceBook would have put the KGB out of business.

No privacy concerns here folks....move along.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
What's with all the Facebook hate in this community? If you don't use it, then fine, but it kind of throws me off to see so many people going out of their way to slam it.

I like Facebook, but their iPhone app is atrocious and always has been. It is dog-slow, crashes frequently, buggy, sucks down battery life, and overall so frustrating that sometimes I want to throw my phone against the wall.

Typical example: I'll scroll down in my News Feed, see a photo I want to expand, and tap on it. The entire UI freezes for a good 7-10 seconds while it loads the photo. Sometimes even longer.

If I tap the Home button while it's doing this, then come back to the Facebook app, then I'm treated to a blank white screen for 5 seconds or so. After that, there's about a 50/50 chance I'll see the photo or news feed, versus being dumped back to the launcher because the app crashed.

Pile of junk.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Was reading an article yesterday where a Russian intelligence officer stated that Social Media is a "dream come true" for gathering information on people, what they like, current photos, who they associate with, and more. He stated that FaceBook would have put the KGB out of business.

In Soviet Russia, KGB Pokes you!

But really, if you're doing sketchy stuff or illegal activities and posting things on FB, then it's your own fault.

"Hey everyone, like my post! I just killed the neighbors and had them for dinner...the recipe is below".

dss10

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Why

This isn't mac or apple news. That being said: Facebook is a pretty scummy company, did they pay for this article?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

It's true, we live in a scarily connected world.

The other day I was in Costco and someone walked by with a varsity jacket with their last name written on it. It was an unusual last name so I took notice. As an experiment, I decided to see how easy it is to "stalk" someone online. So I searched the name in Facebook, quickly found the account with photos and videos of the guy, found out we had mutual friends, found out where he had recently checked in, and I used a 411 website to find out the guy's address and phone number.

Of course I didn't save any of that information, but the point is, if I found it "just like that", anybody could have.

Moral of the story: if you have a distinctive name, don't flash it in public ;)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
It's true, we live in a scarily connected world.

The other day I was in Costco and someone walked by with a varsity jacket with their last name written on it. It was an unusual last name so I took notice. As an experiment, I decided to see how easy it is to "stalk" someone online. So I searched the name in Facebook, quickly found the account with photos and videos of the guy, found out we had mutual friends, found out where he had recently checked in, and I used a 411 website to find out the guy's address and phone number.

Of course I didn't save any of that information, but the point is, if I found it "just like that", anybody could have.

Moral of the story: if you have a distinctive name, don't flash it in public ;)

Or do a reverse search, and stay far away from you...stalker.

You don't do clown acts at birthday parties do you? I recall a certain person who used to do that...?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Or do a reverse search, and stay far away from you...stalker.

You don't do clown acts at birthday parties do you? I recall a certain person who used to do that...?

Hahaha. It's probably pretty common. Someone told me that a police officer went into their school to do a talk on internet safety and that's exactly what he did, live and in front of them. Find a thread and pull on it to see what else he could find.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Hahaha. It's probably pretty common. Someone told me that a police officer went into their school to do a talk on internet safety and that's exactly what he did, live and in front of them. Find a thread and pull on it to see what else he could find.

Oh I'm sure. A number of police busts, and federal busts of late have come from FB posts. Same is true for people abducting kids, and identity theft...

Like you, or the other poster stated, we're now constantly connected and getting/feeding information 24/7.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Thank goodness this was front page news on MacRumors.

Well, as I scroll over the other front page new stories today, I see Justin Bieber, a graph about Android susceptibility to viruses, a story about T-Mobile's catfight with AT&T, an old Swatch product from 10 years ago, a story about Samsung, Beats and their CEO, and a Ferrari.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
."blablablabla.....I just want a way to be able to follow someone and see ALL their posts, not just stuff that passes through whatever algorithm they're using that week......"blablablabla

They DO have this, its called marking a person as a favorite. You see all their posts, what they're liking and commenting on (that is defined as open to friends of friends or global).

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I don't use FB, in fact the only social media I use is YouTube, but when they do a redesign I don't prefer the previous version. I actually prefer the YT layout from six iterations ago.

I always prefer the older versions also.

john0879

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
So they're saying that most posts from the people I'm following will still be missing? Honestly, I don't care that much about the look of the site, I just want a way to be able to follow someone and see ALL their posts, not just stuff that passes through whatever algorithm they're using that week. If they want to have a pref for each person of show all/some/none posts in the news feed, that would work for me.

Exactly what I thought. I can't count how many times it switches me to Top Stories when I set it on Most Recent. Even then, I've seen posts on friends' pages that never showed up on my news feed. I just want to see a list of every post in reverse chronological order for all my friends/group/liked pages.

mcinally

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Manchester, UK
Great, I always wanted the "LIKE IF YOU HATE CANCER, IGNORE IF YOU WANT YOUR FAMILY TO DO" style of images to take up more of my screen estate.

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Seems like a silly thing to make a video for. And the emo music....

Go outside and talk to someone in real life!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
They DO have this, its called marking a person as a favorite. You see all their posts, what they're liking and commenting on (that is defined as open to friends of friends or global).

Do you mean "close friends"? Selecting that gives a notification for every post they make (which I don't want, just for all their posts to show up in my feed), and it doesn't work for organizations. I just want a news feed preference, not that other stuff.

You also reminded me, I wish there was a way to turn off having comments you make on posts show up in other people's news feeds. I know other people can turn that off, but I really wish I could do it from my end, I don't want other people annoyed by that. Same goes for "Joe is now friends with Sally" posts, I just don't see the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.