Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emorog

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
do you have a link to the information about exactly how they registered. I think folks would find it interesting to see the exact name listing and market listed

----------

I don't know that I would say 'really beautiful'. The section titles and the odd giant photo that dominates 2/3 the screen rather screws that up. Plus the whole carousel in that giant photo is odd.

Visit uspto.gov, click Search Marks, Basic Word Mark Search, and search for "paper fiftythree"

Results:

Word Mark PAPER BY FIFTYTHREE
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer application software for smart phones and tablets, namely, software for use in writing on smart phones and tablets with either a stylus or finger. FIRST USE: 20120329. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20120329
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85622666
Filing Date May 11, 2012

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Facebook should stop all this other ancillary BS garbage apps and focus on the main Facebook app.

Things like:

1. REMEMBERING I WANT TO SEE NEWEST FIRST vs the BS News Feed crap that makes me miss 1/2 of people's posts I want to see.

2. Work on refreshing so it doesn't take forever to refresh content.

3. When I switch from News Feed to Newest first, sort it properly, not some 1/2 a$$ed sort that I have to refresh and wait for.

4. Stop the stupid "play videos automatically".

5. Improve stability.

The Facebook app really sucks and is one of the reasons I don't go on it much anymore.

And Chatheads are a fail no matter the OS. More junk clutter.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What if Facebook used the word 'Pages'?

Facebook already has app called Pages for another purpose. Apple's 'word' app is called Pages etc

----------

Oh dear, that means Apple ( a much loved fruit in the USA )have no right to claim copyright or trademark and were wrong to sue the Beatles music company...which in fact existed before a kid called Jobs took a byte from it?

By the same token the Beatles would have had no right to sue Apple (which as I recall is actually what happened).

Each was give use of the term within very specific markets. Candy, saga, paper used in the market of software or even mobile apps is really not specific. That's why the protests. Particularly if the mark filed and granted wasn't actually Paper but actually "Paper by Fiftythree" (which is the case). Fiftythree is asserting they have a right to bar any apps from using paper in the name due to mark diluting but given Facebook's app has nothing to do with writing or drawing that is a thin argument. Now this app they could have a valid fight against.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's not true.

Right. The only thing that matters is that there are now two apps in the app store called "paper". It doesn't matter if one app is for sketching, and the other is a news aggregator. The simple fact that they both have a similar name, and that name itself is a common word, and both apps are sold from the same source is proof that both need to change it.

And yeah, these conversations almost always lead to "well, what about Windows", or "What about Apple"? "They're both common names, why can they get away with it". What it all comes down to is likeliness of confusion. There's only one Apple that makes computers. Only one OS called Windows. You won't ever confuse Bill's Apple Store that sells apples with an Apple Store that sells Macs and ipads, and you won't accidentally go out and buy Microsoft Windows when what you wanted were some triple paned energy saver windows. They're singular entities and products, and aren't likely to have any accidental trademark disputes. Programming a new OS or starting a new computer company takes a bit of effort and research.

But apps, like books, proliferate constantly. You could see dozens of them released on any given day. For things like that, trademarks have to be more specific. Like you can't claim ownership of single words like "paper" or "candy" or "saga", because those words could be used in any number of combinations. You could trademark "paper candy saga" in its entirety though, since it's relatively rare that someone would use those three words in that combination.

And yes, there are exceptions to what I said above. There are always exceptions. But what I'm talking about above is the sortakinda general rule of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.