Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I was really excited about the new FaceTime audio feature in ios 7 until I noticed today that iPhone 4 users are not allowed to use this feature on 3G (it's wifi only). Does anybody know why this restriction exists?

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
AT&T recently lifted the restriction (even on unlimited data users) to facetime over 3G/4G.

Which carrier are you on?

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
FaceTime had always been restricted to wifi on the 4, no differnt with FaceTime audio I believe.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
FaceTime had always been restricted to wifi on the 4, no differnt with FaceTime audio I believe.

It would make more sense to only restrict FaceTime video to wifi only. I assume the restriction is due to the low data speed on the 4 and 4s. It makes no sense to restrict FaceTime audio, however. I can't believe the data speed couldn't handle it.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
It would make more sense to only restrict FaceTime video to wifi only. I assume the restriction is due to the low data speed on the 4 and 4s. It makes no sense to restrict FaceTime audio, however. I can't believe the data speed couldn't handle it.

It's not just about the data speed, the 3G module in your phone is only HSDPA 7.2mbps which have higher ping times (90-100ms lowest) thus making VoIP calls have delay, I think apple doesn't want that. Have you tried skyping over 3G? how is it? Just for comparison's sake.

HSPA+ have better ping times 50ms-100ms

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
It's not just about the data speed, the 3G module in your phone is only HSDPA 7.2mbps which have higher ping times (90-100ms lowest) thus making VoIP calls have delay, I think apple doesn't want that. Have you tried skyping over 3G? how is it? Just for comparison's sake.

HSPA+ have better ping times 50ms-100ms

Yes, I've used Skype (audio only) on 3G, and it's perfectly fine. I don't understand why Apple won't allow it with FaceTime.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
It's only avaliable from 4S onwards. I personally think it was more to get people to upgrade to 4s than anything else but yeah 4 doesn't have as good 3G potential performance

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
That's not true. I still can't facetime over the 3G network on my iPhone 4 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T.

Strange, guess it's just dependent on which model iPhone you have :confused:

My mistake, I could do it on my 4s so I made an assumption I shouldn't have :eek:

Guess it's kind of like how the 4 is capable of running Siri... but they hold back that capability for the 4s and onward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.