Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
HUGE feature!
Shame it is only available over WiFi.
Would KILL the phone companies.

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
This is awesome for people on limited minute plans w/o having to use other voip apps.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
No more having to use Google voice because of the ****** service in my apartment. Very happy about that.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Has it been confirmed to be WiFi only? FaceTime is becoming available over cellular now. Makes me wonder what the state of cell phone carriers will be in a few years.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Has it been confirmed to be WiFi only? FaceTime is becoming available over cellular now. Makes me wonder what the state of cell phone carriers will be in a few years.

Yes. It's confirmed to be only over WiFi. At least at first. Who knows? Maybe they will change that in the future like they did with Facetime (video).

I love this feature. It's one of the things about iOS 7 that really stands out for me.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why would they restrict audio-only Facetime to Wi-Fi, when video Facetime is allowed, and uses MORE bandwidth?

This makes no sense.

You can also make a video Facetime call into an audio one already, just hit the home button on both ends.

DustyLBottoms

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
WHERE has this been confirmed to be WIFI only?

This works just fine without WIFI, across networks even.

Last night I did facetime audio using an AT&T iPhone5 on 4G and a Verizon iPhone 5 on LTE - no WIFI at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.